• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New insurance rules for small companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New insurance rules for small companies

Companies employing only their owner will not have to buy employers’ liability compulsory insurance from Monday 28 February 2005, when new rules come into force.

Good news
    www.dcode.co.uk/site/home...e_SME.html

Bad news??

If you don't need ELI you are clearly not a real business because you don't have any employees therefore you have no valid defence against IR35... Do not make the mistake of taking such announcements at face value.

Dunno about you but I get my ELI bundled with the whole PI package at a little under £300 pa, so it's not going to be much of a saving.

Comment

Re: Bad news??

I thought we already didn't need this insurance - something to do with the director not (necessarily) being an employee perhaps?

Comment

Re: Bad news??

The legislation provides that an owner/sole employee is not required to purchase ELCI if the business remains unincorporated. However the incorporation of a business creates a separate legal person, the company, who acts as the employer and a requirement to purchase ELCI.

Well thats us out then. If you are a plumber you are OK. But I haven't found many IT contractors that are self employed.

Comment

quote is regarding the previous legislation

I think that quotation must relate to the position today i.e. before the amended legislation comes into force from tomorrow.

From tomorrow, limited companies which have only one employee are not required to have ELI if that one employee owns 50% or more of the shares.

Of course, limited companies which have no employees never did have to have ELI and, as someone has pointed out, it is possible to be a director without being an employee.

John Antell

www.john.antell.name

Comment

Working...
          X