• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corporation Tax: Notice of correction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporation Tax: Notice of correction

Some comments, advice would be appreciated:-

I've just received a notice of correction on my company's corporation tax return from May 2001, basically saying that they (Inland Revenue) are owed a couple of hundred pounds. The company was wound up in 2001 and I am now contracting under a different company.

As far as I knew I had paid all the required Corporation tax, VAT etc that my accountants said I had to pay and the inland revenue didn't query it at the time.

My question is: as the company in question is no longer a legal entity am I liable for this amount?

The reason I am asking this is that the letter was addressed to the company, not me although by a 'strange' coincidence I have just won a long battle to get tax that was overpaid by me personally and the sum I won back differs in just a few pence from the sum thay are demanding in corporation tax.

Cheers
    nails

IANAA and AFAIK and SWALK, UNESCO,RSPCA etc etc but no, assuming there was nothing illegal, you do not have any legal liability for this sum.

Probably is a coincidence, the parts of the the IR dealing with companies usually do not have a clue what the parts dealing with the afffairs of the same company's employees are up to even when they share the same address and probably live in the office next door. Fortunately for all of us, evil and competence appear to be inversely proportional.

Comment

Xoggoth, you are right. I spoke with the Inland Revenue and they have said just to return it with a covering letter saying why. Although I don't know why I ws sent it in the first place as the person in the Inland Revenue could see on her screen that the company was no longer trading.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X