• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35: Planning for April 2021 – should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladymuck
    replied
    My experience, without making much of an effort over the past few months:

Originally posted by IR35 Lol View Post
    My observation are:
    • Few contracts inside IR35
    Reasonable number of roles being advertised, my network was very reactive when I almost thought I'd be finishing before Christmas.

• Recruiters are kicking their heels with not doing a lot of business

I've never known recruiters kicking their heels - they're sales people. You might not be hearing much from them but I bet they're hounding their clients (that's not you).

• Recruiters are not putting rates/salary's on adds
    This has been common for years, is this your first week?

• Companies HR departments recruiting again (Employing Direct)
    See above

• Price offered for roles are pretty low
    Compared to what, when?

• One off relocation fees offered, usually 5k
    Relocation costs being covered for contract work?? That's a red flag if ever I saw one. If you're talking about permie work then it's quite common for costs to be capped unless you can prove you're Jesus.

• Jobs come with conditions, i.e. 9 to 5, five days a week, and no remote work.
    All jobs come with conditions. That's what an employment contract is.

I closed my ltd company and now looking for something local, prepared at 43 to take low wage to get into something new.

Does anyone know if there is an official method of submitting feedback to the gov?
    What exactly are you aiming to feed back? The fact that you didn't like contracting so quit only to find the grass wasn't greener on the permie side? Nothing you're saying is new but rather shows that you have very little real world experience. At nearly 46 I am not much older than you and am surprised that you're reacting more like a member of the snowflake generation than a gen x'er

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Lol
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I find it hard to believe most of those are now common.
    I am reporting my findings, if you are ok than that's great, but believe what i have reported from my own experience!

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Lol
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

I very much doubt that The Treasury would give a flying feck for any of that. They have no interest or involvement regarding what recruiters do in their ads.
    it was more the whole change i have experienced rather than the single point you chose to raise.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm not seeing most of those. Mix with majority inside and I very much doubt recruiters are kicking their heels as they are comission based and it's all that matters to them. Not putting rates on is common and always has been, rates seem market to me, I don't see any relocation fees at all and can't remember ever have and I don't see any at all saying no remote work.

Maybe it's your skillset but I find it hard to believe most of those are now common.
    Despite me forever telling agents I am now retired, I am still getting emails telling me about inside IR35 gigs at about 60% of the rate I earned in my last (outside IR35 ended in 2014) UK contract. The energy contracting industry has almost died in the UK now and the rates reflect on shoring of Asian workers in place of UK workers, a lot of whom have retired or moved into new areas of work. I am very very glad I am retired, the UK energy contracting industry no longer seems attractive from what I can see.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 3 January 2022, 18:24.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    My observation are:
    • Few contracts inside IR35
    • Recruiters are kicking their heels with not doing a lot of business
    • Recruiters are not putting rates/salary's on adds
    • Companies HR departments recruiting again (Employing Direct)
    • Price offered for roles are pretty low
    • One off relocation fees offered, usually 5k
    • Jobs come with conditions, i.e. 9 to 5, five days a week, and no remote work.
    I closed my ltd company and now looking for something local, prepared at 43 to take low wage to get into something new.

Does anyone know if there is an official method of submitting feedback to the gov?
    I'm not seeing most of those. Mix with majority inside and I very much doubt recruiters are kicking their heels as they are comission based and it's all that matters to them. Not putting rates on is common and always has been, rates seem market to me, I don't see any relocation fees at all and can't remember ever have and I don't see any at all saying no remote work.

Maybe it's your skillset but I find it hard to believe most of those are now common.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Lol
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    What is your skillset?
    Document Control

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I would like to feedback what I have experienced as listed in my post.

I'm guessing it would be the treasury
    I very much doubt that The Treasury would give a flying feck for any of that. They have no interest or involvement regarding what recruiters do in their ads.

Maybe try BEIS for all the good it would do you, they won’t care either.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

You could talk to your MP, who may write to a Treasury Minister but, realistically, you will get a meaningless reply (in other words, don’t bother). The HoL were collecting evidence recently, but even those formal/internal reviews are a waste of space. HMG’s view of success is purely related to the tax take and the cost of enforcement and not the wider cost to the supply chain about which they do not give two flying fooks, regardless of whether the criticism is coming from the private or public sectors, individual constituents, HoC or HoL committees or Uncle Bob.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    What is your skillset?

There are plenty of outside contracts for people with mine but that opens up a different issue.

I don't particular trust any contract that is using a substitution clause as its chief method of making the contract outside - HMRC are going to be sniffing all over that topic for the next 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Lol
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X