• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Zealand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Zealand

I've been offered 3+ months contract work in NZ. Has anyone contracted there? what's the best way of doing it? I have a UK ltd company

Cheers

you don't really need a LTD as such to contract in New Zealand. All you need is an IRD number (equivalent to NI number here in the UK)
    You have to register with the GST (equivalent to VAT here) if you charge above $50k a year (check the amount, am not sure it's $50k any more), and your GST number will be the same as your IRD number.

It is very simple compared to what it's like in the UK. And it's much easier to deduct expenses (including rent) from your taxable income

Comment

Thanks

The agency are talking about deducting withholding tax of 15%. What is this and is it normal?. Do I have to pay income tax in NZ on top of this? Would there be any benefits to using my UK company for this?

Cheers

Comment

Don't forget that you will still be reident in the UK for tax purposes and the income will (should) be subject to UK taxes. The effect of these should be mitigated by the UK-NZ DTA and will probably grant relief against any NZ taxes paid.

Comment

I know people i worked with on a project in malaysia and then moved to NZ were using a British management company called Albany Systems www.thealbanygroup.com who have an office out there.

Comment

Working...
          X