• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Accountant - advises against income splitting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to mention not getting a years state pension NI contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
      If she is also a director with no employment contract, there will be no need to justify the level of her salary.
      For those that have spouses in the company with a salary, what reasons are there for not also making them a director then, if it avoids the worries around appropriate salary levels?

Comment

my accountant has also advised against it he also has advised against giving out dividends saying its risky and safer just to pay the tax on profits after the whole year. Told me apart from the salary leave all income in the account

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
          If she is also a director with no employment contract, there will be no need to justify the level of her salary. If she is not, then the salary she receives will just need to be justified at a level appropriate for the amount of work she does for the company and at a market rate.
          Eh? Don't have to justify the salary? I think you have got that one worryingly wrong.

I agree being a director makes it easier to justify a higher salary, but to say you don't have to justify it is just plain wrong.

If you are right then why not make all the children directors and pay them £8k each.

Think you need to re-think this one...

Comment

Originally posted by abu1 View Post
            my accountant has also advised against it he also has advised against giving out dividends saying its risky and safer just to pay the tax on profits after the whole year. Told me apart from the salary leave all income in the account
            wow, some seriously dodgy advice being passed around just now

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
              wow, some seriously dodgy advice being passed around just now
              dodgy of safe?

Comment

Originally posted by redman View Post
                They basically said that they advise not to do this. She has no other earnings and I was paying minimum earnings to be tax efficient
                Make her company secretary, get her to clean your home office once a week, set her up with a company email address and to be first point of contact for the accountant, train her up on FreeAgent and get her to process expenses. She's now doing enough to justify income splitting if Hector come calling.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

https://forbeswatson.co.uk/profit-ex...use-tax-abuse/

According to this article, instead of salary, you can pay your spouse directors’ fees. You will need to appoint your wife as a director. This would be the best option for you.

Comment

Eh? Don't have to justify the salary? I think you have got that one worryingly wrong.

I agree being a director makes it easier to justify a higher salary, but to say you don't have to justify it is just plain wrong.
                    Ever hear of HMRC challenging director's remuneration of £8K or even £11K?

They'd have to quantify the proper amount of compensation to compensate a director for the liability they incur by serving in that role. How can they prove it should be less than £11K?

If you pay a spouse director's compensation of £50K or £100K you might have an issue, but then IT, ERNI, and EENI come into play, so no one would do that and they wouldn't be likely to object.
                    If you are right then why not make all the children directors and pay them £8k each.
                    No reason, really, other than that it is illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by jmann View Post
                      https://forbeswatson.co.uk/profit-ex...use-tax-abuse/

According to this article, instead of salary, you can pay your spouse directors’ fees. You will need to appoint your wife as a director. This MIGHT be the best option for you.
                      FTFY. In most cases it is a good option. It's what I've done.

Comment

Working...
                      X