• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is use of home office a BIK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Fair enough, other than we don't know the OP's status...

Personally I've never bothered: if £216 a year is significant I'm in the wrong game
    Agreed... hardly worth it, but the £216 is easy, anything else isn't. OP did mention "MyCo" FWIW.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I got my 18/19 tax code and it has changed from 1616L to 1125L X (not sure why the big change). I was curious that they have taken my personal allowance of £11850 and reduced it but £600 for benefits in kind. Checking my last P11d it does list £600 under "expenses-other".

The lack of expenses I have and the number being exactly the same as the £50 MyCo pays for use of full-time home office makes me assume that's the culprit but to my recollection this isn't a BIK - otherwise there would be no point doing it?
    I don't recall seeing this before or asking about it before so can someone tell me if my mind is likely playing tricks on me, if the rules have changed, or if this is likely a mistake?

For those who may query £50/month, I have been doing this for about the last ten years so without getting into a debate on the matter, it hasn't changed which seems pertinent.

I'm fairly sure my P11D questionnaire always ends up listing zero - this was via the InTouch system - but I hadn't spotted the figure on the official filed paperwork from a couple of weeks away which I should've checked more carefully.
    FWIW, you probably cannot justify the £50 per month (I work from home full time and claim the standard rate of £18 per month) but, if you don't have the paperwork/calculations to demonstrate why it's £50, then you definitely won't be able to justify the claim.

As to "why now", exemptions replaced dispensations on 6 April 2016 and I believe you now need an exemption from HMRC for something other than £18 per month or £4 per week. You don't have it, so...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Fair enough, other than we don't know the OP's status...

Personally I've never bothered: if £216 a year is significant I'm in the wrong game

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    This is news to me - AIUI the standard 'rate' is £4 a week, or calculating proportions based on bills and use.

Following the links from that article, the HMRC pages talk about self employed/sole traders, not ltdCo.
    https://www.gov.uk/simpler-income-ta...king-from-home
    You're correct. The figures Mal quotes are for sole traders, not company directors or employees. For a company director or employee, the standard amount YourCo can pay without keeping records is £4 per week or, even better (woohoo), £18 per month. Obviously, you can try to factor the actual costs, and keep appropriate records, but it's rarely worthwhile, unless your time is cheap and/or you have a tiny house with one very large room in which you work.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The acceptable level for use of a home office not to be a BIK is £10 month for up to 50 hours work a month from home, up to £26 a month for over 100 hours, and has been for a long time. The fact you've been claiming a lot more for ten years doesn't mean you're right, only that HMRC have just noticed it.

There are other variations - a nice summary is over here.
    This is news to me - AIUI the standard 'rate' is £4 a week, or calculating proportions based on bills and use.

Following the links from that article, the HMRC pages talk about self employed/sole traders, not ltdCo.
    https://www.gov.uk/simpler-income-ta...king-from-home

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    The acceptable level for use of a home office not to be a BIK is £10 month for up to 50 hours work a month from home, up to £26 a month for over 100 hours, and has been for a long time. The fact you've been claiming a lot more for ten years doesn't mean you're right, only that HMRC have just noticed it.

There are other variations - a nice summary is over here.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Is use of home office a BIK?

Is use of home office a BIK?

I got my 18/19 tax code and it has changed from 1616L to 1125L X (not sure why the big change). I was curious that they have taken my personal allowance of £11850 and reduced it but £600 for benefits in kind. Checking my last P11d it does list £600 under "expenses-other".

The lack of expenses I have and the number being exactly the same as the £50 MyCo pays for use of full-time home office makes me assume that's the culprit but to my recollection this isn't a BIK - otherwise there would be no point doing it?
    I don't recall seeing this before or asking about it before so can someone tell me if my mind is likely playing tricks on me, if the rules have changed, or if this is likely a mistake?

For those who may query £50/month, I have been doing this for about the last ten years so without getting into a debate on the matter, it hasn't changed which seems pertinent.

I'm fairly sure my P11D questionnaire always ends up listing zero - this was via the InTouch system - but I hadn't spotted the figure on the official filed paperwork from a couple of weeks away which I should've checked more carefully.

Working...
X