• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That time of year again - IPSE+ or QDOS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Who would you contact first if you get an HMRC investigation ? Assume QDOS...

Not sure I've seen much output from IPSE as a cause worth supporting.
    I phoned the IPSE helpline when I had a VAT investigation and it was dealt with perfectly fine by Abbey Tax.

Comment

Not sure I've seen much output from IPSE as a cause worth supporting.
      Well, possibly, their stuff has mostly been behind the scenes of late, sadly. However I'm damned certain I've seen nothing from QDOS over the years so if it's representation that makes the difference...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Wouldn't they insist on a review first before they insure it so they (and you) don't get lumped with a dodgy one. I've a feeling in a post somewhere someone said they would insure without a review which kinda got my goat at the time.
        QDOS quote

The TLC35 policy is not offered based on (or in any way reliant on) your written contract
        Last edited by Spoiler; 30 July 2018, 15:56.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Well, possibly, their stuff has mostly been behind the scenes of late, sadly. However I'm damned certain I've seen nothing from QDOS over the years so if it's representation that makes the difference...
          Not sure I've seen QDOS promoting themselves as "Representing, protecting and supporting the self-employed".

The appearance (to me) is that IPSE talk a lot, but with minimal results, and are largely ignored by government, etc.

Comment

Although that's not quite true:

Following a claim under ‘Section 7. Status Enquiry’, the insurer shall indemnify the policyholder under the terms of ‘Section 9. Status
            Enquiry Taxes and Interest’ and ‘Section 10. Status Enquiry Penalties’ provided that during the period under enquiry the following
            statement of working practices can be agreed:
            • The policyholder is able to exercise a Right of Substitution.
            • The policyholder has autonomy over their method of work and is not subject to the same level of supervision or control as their
            clients’ employees.
            • The policyholder is not aware of any discrepancies between their contract with an agency and the agency’s contract with the end
            client.
            • The policyholder has not been employed directly by any of their clients in the 12 months prior to commencing work under a
            contract for services.
            If the policyholder is unable to agree the above statements in respect of work carried out during the period under enquiry, no cover
            under ‘Section 9. Status Enquiry Taxes and Interest’ and ‘Section 10. Status Enquiry Penalties’ shall be provided unless otherwise
            agreed in writing.

Comment

Not sure I've seen QDOS promoting themselves as "Representing, protecting and supporting the self-employed".

The appearance (to me) is that IPSE talk a lot, but with minimal results, and are largely ignored by government, etc.
              The same can be said for many organisations unless you are either involved or very close to them. Having a casual interest isn't enough to be able to see how much work and effort goes in.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                The same can be said for many organisations unless you are either involved or very close to them. Having a casual interest isn't enough to be able to see how much work and effort goes in.
                Conceded

Comment

Have you tried these guys?

What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Appearances can be deceptive. IPSE are heard at the top of government as well as in Whitehall. The problem is we have a government - or more accurately a Treasury - that is determined to take no notice at all of evidence or consultation and prefer to follow their own demented policies. Take it to your MP and you get the same stock answer that flatly refuses to address the issue in any meaningful way.

That is a failing of our democratic process and too many career politicians disinterested in representing people ahead of their own personal agenda, not a failing of the poor sods - not just IPSE but ICAEW, REC, CIOT and half a dozen others - trying to get the message across.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This one again

Obviously there have been numerous threads like this over the years and it's always difficult because the organisations are not really comparable.

On a very basic level IPSE are a trade association who provide insurance/representation, through a third party, as part of their membership. Qdos are a tax consultancy and, latterly, an insurance broker.

We are not in a position to lobby government and IPSE are not in a position to directly defend their members. Both of us serve an important - but different - purpose.

I think if you're looking to compare the two the important question is what you're looking for in the first place - not just in terms of the initial product but also its practical application. And I'm in no way saying one is better than the other by that (I think we're largely complimentary but with some crossovers); it's just important that people make an informed decision.

Happy to answer any specific questions anyone has.

Seb
                      Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
                      X