• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT reclaim for gas, elec, water usage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT reclaim for gas, elec, water usage

I have built and now sold a couple of new build houses. The Gas, Electric and Water were all connected about six months ago. All bills have been paid - As the properties are new build and I am not the first occupier can I claim VAT back on the gas, elec & water usage between installation and sale? if so what percentage can be reclaimed?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Originally posted by IDL View Post
    I have built and now sold a couple of new build houses. The Gas, Electric and Water were all connected about six months ago. All bills have been paid - As the properties are new build and I am not the first occupier can I claim VAT back on the gas, elec & water usage between installation and sale? if so what percentage can be reclaimed?
    I've no idea if you can claim. Ask your accountant.

As for what percentage....... the VAT percentage.... That's 8% I believe.

You are VAT registered aren't you? Which would be unusual for a sole trader doing houses as there's no need to be. Or are you doing houses through a LTD? Or are you a contractor with a LTD and want to fraudulently claim VAT back for personal building projects?

Need more information.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by IDL View Post
      Do you know that this is mainly an IT contractor site?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        I've no idea if you can claim. Ask your accountant.

As for what percentage....... the VAT percentage.... That's 8% I believe.

You are VAT registered aren't you? Which would be unusual for a sole trader doing houses as there's no need to be. Or are you doing houses through a LTD? Or are you a contractor with a LTD and want to fraudulently claim VAT back for personal building projects?

Need more information.
        He may not be VAT registered at all - you can claim back some VAT costs when building new homes and such:

https://www.gov.uk/vat-building-new-home/eligibility

Agree the question is a bit naff, though

Comment

Working...
        X