• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Valuing shares in Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valuing shares in Ltd company

How do I work out full market value of shares in my company? It has been around for > 10 yrs, has retained profit and existing clients. I'm investigating alloting some new shares, but understand they would need to be purchased at 'full market value' by the person concerned.

Wouldn't the value really depend on the person you are selling them to. You could argue a very wide range depending on the outcome you want. If it's to sell to family members/friends you could quite easily manipulate the numbers down. If it's to a genuine investor you've got a host of less tangible factors to boost the value.

Care to share the relationship first so we can give you a better answer based on circumstance?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

a
      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Wouldn't the value really depend on the person you are selling them to. You could argue a very wide range depending on the outcome you want. If it's to sell to family members/friends you could quite easily manipulate the numbers down. If it's to a genuine investor you've got a host of less tangible factors to boost the value.

Care to share the relationship first so we can give you a better answer based on circumstance?
      It would be the family members/friends category. They would buy the shares with their own money at full market value and any dividends they receive would never make they way back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
        a

It would be the family members/friends category. They would buy the shares with their own money at full market value and any dividends they receive would never make they way back to me.
        Why would you give your hard earned money away? Tax fudge to get it to the kids cheaper? Look after the parents more tax efficiently?

Comment

How do I work out full market value of shares in my company? It has been around for > 10 yrs, has retained profit and existing clients. I'm investigating alloting some new shares, but understand they would need to be purchased at 'full market value' by the person concerned.
          Are you a typical '1 man band' contractor Ltd, or is it bigger than that?

Comment

This is going to be a very long thread. A two line question to ask about an extremely complicated situation that is highly dependent on the details, of which there are non.

Always makes me think someone knows what they are trying to do is a no no when they hide so much information.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Are you a typical '1 man band' contractor Ltd, or is it bigger than that?
              It’s bigger than one man band. We have hundreds of clients and it doesn’t require me working to make money, I could in theory retire and it would still operate. I’m just after a way of coming up with a fair valuation of shares. I’ll ask my accountant also, but he’s on hols at moment. Thought there might be some industry standard multiple of earnings or something.

Comment

It’s bigger than one man band. We have hundreds of clients and it doesn’t require me working to make money, I could in theory retire and it would still operate. I’m just after a way of coming up with a fair valuation of shares. I’ll ask my accountant also, but he’s on hols at moment. Thought there might be some industry standard multiple of earnings or something.
                You need to talk to someone who buys and sells businesses for a living. I know a guy, now retired, who may be able to help. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Most of us are 1 man band Ltds here, but a few people have expanded and may be able to help - but probably this isn't the right forum for question.

Comment

you could value it as cash in the bank. If you're the revenue generator and plan on stopping then cash in the bank is a very fair valuation.
                    Are the people you're selling shares to going to be working in the business? If so then I suggest you seek legal advice and get some proper contracts drawn up, including 'what to do if someone dies, what to do if you fall out, what to do if the company goes bust, etc. etc.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X