• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Original papers have to be checked in person by agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

But, more importantly, is it your personal name on the contract with the agency or your Ltd's?

Unless the contract is with you, personally, then the agent has no right to see personal details of you. Any obligation to ensure the ability to work is handled by the organisation with the legal responsibility for that, your Ltd.
    Not true.

I've been DBS checked, security cleared and have had financial checks done by agencies on behalf of their client.

There are a few clients who do all this themselves due to their lack of trust of agencies but if the agency says they will do it, the client expects them to do it for the staff and directors your limited company will place on-site.

Incidentally one agent actually came on-site on the first day before starting to check passports. This client allowed contractors to provide substitutes without fuss.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 14 June 2018, 14:29.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are you sure about that. I can see why you think it being a B2B contract but there are other pieces of legislation which get in the way of that.....
      Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      WALOB. Have you ever worked in the banking sector? I doubt it because you'd struggle to get through the front door without very extensive vetting.....
      Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Not true.
      I'm not saying that agents/client demands to see your personal details doesn't happen, I'm saying that they have no legal right to demand this of you, despite what they may say or think.

Naturally, gigs requiring security clearance are something else entirely, however, I'm specifically talking about demands to see your passport for such things as verifying you're British and so have the right to work in the UK.

Neither the agent nor client (especially the client as there's no direct relationship between you and/or your Ltd. and the client co.) has the right to see your personal details any more than you have the right to waltz into the client CEO's office and demand to see his passport/bank statement etc.

Ahem. Contractors' Questions: Is an agent entitled to my passport?

If, on the other hand, you are operating under a limited company then there is no need for the agent to see these documents. Their contract will be with your limited company not you personally. Theoretically they may wish to see a copy of some photographic ID to verify that you have the authority to sign on behalf of your company but even then you do not have to provide this.

Comment

I'm not saying that agents/client demands to see your personal details doesn't happen, I'm saying that they have no legal right to demand this of you, despite what they may say or think.
        But if you don't you won't get the gig. Well argued bruh. You won that point.
        Neither the agent nor client (especially the client as there's no direct relationship between you and/or your Ltd. and the client co.) has the right to see your personal details any more than you have the right to waltz into the client CEO's office and demand to see his passport/bank statement etc.
        Who will tell you to **** off which is what the client/agent will do if you don't provide it.. But you won that point as well.

Bit of selective quoting there... because at the bottom it says..

However from a practical point of view, there is nothing forcing the agency to put you forward for a position. Therefore if you do not cooperate with their internal policies, then they may simply 'forget you' in favour of another contractor who is more agreeable.
        So technically yes, you've won an utter pointless argument with truly awful advice. I salute you sir.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

But if you don't you won't get the gig. Well argued bruh. You won that point.

Who will tell you to **** off which is what the client/agent will do if you don't provide it.. But you won that point as well.

Bit of selective quoting there... because at the bottom it says..

So technically yes, you've won an utter pointless argument with truly awful advice. I salute you sir.
          You have good rep.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

WALOB.
            My new favourite acronym; disappointed I never thought of it before, pleased I have it now.

Comment

Who will tell you to **** off which is what the client/agent will do if you don't provide it..
              Is that a given?

Perhaps you just need to politely educate the agent/client and illustrate to them that they are not the one with legal responsibility to determine your personal details and ability to work in the UK, despite what they may believe.

But I can understand how that may be a difficult ask for you with your attitude.
              Last edited by billybiro; 20 June 2018, 06:13.

Comment

Is that a given?

Perhaps you just need to politely educate the agent/client and illustrate to them that they are not the one with legal responsibility to determine your personal details and ability to work in the UK, despite what they may believe.

But I can understand how that may be a difficult ask for you with your attitude.
                Good luck educating an investment bank that their operational risk policy is too risk averse after the fines they've incurred.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Is that a given?

All lovely in theory. In practice? Very rarely. Have you missed the 100's, nae 1000's of posts we have about agents not flexing on the basic stuff let along anything that impacts their risk status. That's on top of the countless posts about agents showing passports which, in 100% of the times has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction by a passport being produced.

One party has a corporate risk policy that's been put in place by their legal team that will be cast in stone, the other just has to show their passport. Do you think they will understand that they have to go get legal sign off to buck their process when all the other party has to do is show a passport? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong in all this. I'd love for everything you say to be true and all this push back would work... but the reality is it doesn't. When a contract is in the balance over something that's pretty trivial the argument just falls apart. That's the bit I don't get with your argument. It's just theory and doesn't work yet you are hanging on to it like a starving dog with a bone.

The fact there are so many posts on this and it's happened to everyone that's replying to you has to be evidence that you are thrashing a dead horse. We have absolutely no evidence your push back has worked. Do you see how it ridiculous all this looks to us? I mean, we've posted at least two articles, one you even posted yourself that ends saying you might as well show it. Both articles from professionals with a measured approach putting both sides of the argument but still coming to the same conclusion. One that you just can't get for some obscure reason.

As I've said before, it's just a ridiculous argument that's never going to work so it's just utterly pointless. Sometimes you've got to just appreciate it's stupid but it is what it is and move on. You've spent more time making a pointless argument than I have showing my passport in 10 years. What a win that is.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 20 June 2018, 07:43.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Good luck educating an investment bank that their operational risk policy is too risk averse after the fines they've incurred.
                    But what if otherwise they risk losing the services of BillyBiro Ltd?

Comment

All lovely in theory. In practice? Very rarely. Have you missed the 100's, nae 1000's of posts we have about agents not flexing on the basic stuff let along anything that impacts their risk status. That's on top of the countless posts about agents showing passports which, in 100% of the times has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction by a passport being produced.

One party has a corporate risk policy that's been put in place by their legal team that will be cast in stone, the other just has to show their passport. Do you think they will understand that they have to go get legal sign off to buck their process when all the other party has to do is show a passport? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong in all this. I'd love for everything you say to be true and all this push back would work... but the reality is it doesn't. When a contract is in the balance over something that's pretty trivial the argument just falls apart. That's the bit I don't get with your argument. It's just theory and doesn't work yet you are hanging on to it like a starving dog with a bone.

The fact there are so many posts on this and it's happened to everyone that's replying to you has to be evidence that you are thrashing a dead horse. We have absolutely no evidence your push back has worked. Do you see how it ridiculous all this looks to us? I mean, we've posted at least two articles, one you even posted yourself that ends saying you might as well show it. Both articles from professionals with a measured approach putting both sides of the argument but still coming to the same conclusion. One that you just can't get for some obscure reason.

As I've said before, it's just a ridiculous argument that's never going to work so it's just utterly pointless. Sometimes you've got to just appreciate it's stupid but it is what it is and move on. You've spent more time making a pointless argument than I have showing my passport in 10 years. What a win that is.
                      Billy seems to be engaged in typical keyboard warrior stuff. We have no idea how he behaves in reality when asked to show a passport to secure a contract with a likely value of 100k +.

Comment

Working...
                      X