• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Original papers have to be checked in person by agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done it a couple of times, but they had a local general recruitment office nearby, so wasn't too much of a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      As has been said before, and routinely ignored, a passport is proof of sod all unless it is the original being held by its owner in the presence of a witness. The agency is actually following the law on this.

Where they are wrong in not having a viable practial alternative such as a solicitor's stamped confirmation that they've seen you holding said passport.
      While I am sure you are correct, the sanctity of the chain of evidence is somewhat compromised by involving a hair gelled spiv.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
          Haven't thought of that one, but I'm sure they will have an excuse why that is not acceptable.

Comment

I have had to do this for Security Cleared / NPPV3 roles. It has been as anal has having the agent in my present role drive from Birmingham to Surrey to witness my "wet signature" on the contract, over and above the physical witness of the relevant identification documents.Turnaround time for him was 20 minutes.

I'd make a day out of it, and enjoy the journey - one day out of life to secure an income stream, seems worthwhile to me?
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              I'd make a day out of it, and enjoy the journey - one day out of life to secure an income stream, seems worthwhile to me?
              This. I am sure there are a raft of small business owners or sales people that would give their right arm to have to make one journey costing them a few 10's of pounds to secure potentially 100's of K's worth of work.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Haven't thought of that one, but I'm sure they will have an excuse why that is not acceptable.
                You could be holding a forged document so Skype wouldn't work either.

Having someone like a solicitor, who could be struck off so lose their living , if they verified a forged document was you is more fool proof than Skype. In addition someone like a solicitor is more likely to know what a passport is suppose to look like than an agent.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  This. I am sure there are a raft of small business owners or sales people that would give their right arm to have to make one journey costing them a few 10's of pounds to secure potentially 100's of K's worth of work.
                  Well, firstly, the idea that it will only cost "a few 10's of pounds" could easily be grossly underestimated. The cost of travel alone is likely to be closer to £100 and if also losing a day's billing at a current contract, this cost could easily run to many hundreds of pounds. Even then, it would possibly be worth it to secure a gig worth much more than that, however, as you yourself keep reminding us, NLUK, gigs are as secure as the notice period within them, which is frequently nothing. So, what is worth £100's K on paper, may not be worth much when the project (and your contract) get cancelled after 2 weeks.

Overriding all of this though, is that this whole thing would be far more palatable if this wasn't an industry plagued by shysters, charlatans and fly-by-night agents. Agents who would give zero f*cks that you may have to take a day off a contract at great expense to provide such verification but who would call you the next day to tell you that the client has pulled the contract even when the agent had a suspicion that this might happen all along, or would get multiple contractors to make the same journey and provide the same verification, yet give the gig to only one after they realise they can squeeze somebody's rate to increase their margin.

But, more importantly, is it your personal name on the contract with the agency or your Ltd's?

Unless the contract is with you, personally, then the agent has no right to see personal details of you. Any obligation to ensure the ability to work is handled by the organisation with the legal responsibility for that, your Ltd.
                  Last edited by billybiro; 14 June 2018, 13:10.

Comment

Unless the contract is with you, personally, then the agent has no right to see personal details of you. Any obligation to ensure the ability to work is handled by the organisation with the legal responsibility for that, your Ltd.
                    Are you sure about that. I can see why you think it being a B2B contract but there are other pieces of legislation which get in the way of that.. For example The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 which states (for an Opt In at least)
                    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/3319/made

(d)

the experience, training, qualifications and any authorisation which the hirer considers are necessary, or which are required by law, or by any professional body, for a work-seeker to possess in order to work in the position;

Confirmation to be obtained about a work-seeker

19. Neither an agency nor an employment business may introduce or supply a work-seeker to a hirer unless it has obtained confirmation—

(a)

of the identity of the work-seeker;

(b)

that the work-seeker has the experience, training, qualifications and any authorisation which the hirer considers are necessary, or which are required by law or by any professional body, to work in the position which the hirer seeks to fill; and
                    There is on top of that the scare factor of things like right to work which yes, could be handled by the LTD but no one in their right mind would take a one man band's word for it without doing due diligence. Best practice dictates it's checked and the legal responsibility ultimately sits with the agency. Maybe technically they don't have right but to accept the word of our LTD's would be irresponsible of them.

I'm sure there are other legislations and vetting best practice that I'm not aware of. So, maybe your argument has merit but it's so theoretical it's a pointless statement.

And thanks for the other stuff. Want another beer?
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 June 2018, 13:45.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                      Well, firstly, the idea that it will only cost "a few 10's of pounds" could easily be grossly underestimated. The cost of travel alone is likely to be closer to £100 and if also losing a day's billing at a current contract, this cost could easily run to many hundreds of pounds. Even then, it would possibly be worth it to secure a gig worth much more than that, however, as you yourself keep reminding us, NLUK, gigs are as secure as the notice period within them, which is frequently nothing. So, what is worth £100's K on paper, may not be worth much when the project (and your contract) get cancelled after 2 weeks.

Overriding all of this though, is that this whole thing would be far more palatable if this wasn't an industry plagued by shysters, charlatans and fly-by-night agents. Agents who would give zero f*cks that you may have to take a day off a contract at great expense to provide such verification but who would call you the next day to tell you that the client has pulled the contract even when the agent had a suspicion that this might happen all along, or would get multiple contractors to make the same journey and provide the same verification, yet give the gig to only one after they realise they can squeeze somebody's rate to increase their margin.

But, more importantly, is it your personal name on the contract with the agency or your Ltd's?

WALOB. Have you ever worked in the banking sector? I doubt it because you'd struggle to get through the front door without very extensive vetting.
                      I did a return gig at one bank and they still wanted everything, even from before the first gig there! Money for old rope for the screening company.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X