• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for a UK company in Portugal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting for a UK company in Portugal

Hello,

I am new to contracting and would like some advice.

My situation is:
    • I am a UK citizen and my home is in the UK.
    • I am working in London for a UK based company.
    • I currently work full time as a Software Developer.
    • With the same company, I am planning on moving from permanent to contracting as I hope to gradually cut my days shorter from 5 days, to 4 then to 3.
    • However, depending on what is more easier, I can decide to stay as a permanent employee with the same company but in Portugal.
    • They have no Portuguese branch. Their only branch is in London.
    • I will be working remotely in Portugal as my partner is there.
    • I hope to become a resident and make my home there.

Now my questions are:
    • What steps should I take to make this happen?
    • What things should I consider? What should I be aware of? Is this even possible to do? Is it hard to do? - I keep running into unknown things. I thought working remotely abroad would be simple but there's a lot of hurdles to get through. For example, I just found out I need to pay taxes in two countries and to see whether my employer will and can pay taxes to abroad. So this is what I'm asking if there is anything I should be aware of?
    • Taxes and tax returns, documentation where and how in portugal
    • What does my employer need from me and the umbrella company to make this work?
    • How does my company file taxes to Portugal? Is this hard for them to do?
    • Which umbrella companies do people use?
    • Do I even need to go through the contracting route?

Broadly, you pay tax where you work and you do not pay tax on the same money twice, generally. If you read the UK/Portugal Tax treaty you will understand this much better. It is actually not so difficult as you may first imagine.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Broadly, you pay tax where you work and you do not pay tax on the same money twice, generally. If you read the UK/Portugal Tax treaty you will understand this much better. It is actually not so difficult as you may first imagine.
      Hi Fredd,

Would I need a Portuguese accountant to sort this out too alongside a British accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by jaulin View Post
        Hi Fredd,

Would I need a Portuguese accountant to sort this out too alongside a British accountant?
        I cannot say. Myself, I have been resident in three jurisdictions including the UK. Using the information available from HMRC I have done my own tax affairs. You may not may not wish to do so. I imagine after the first year, you would be fine.

Comment

Paging Sue@iPAYE.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Paging Sue@iPAYE.
            From the limited information given, I suspect the OP needs to be self employed in Portugal rather than an employee of a brolly. But, naturally, this is just a lay person's view.

Comment

From the limited information given, I suspect the OP needs to be self employed in Portugal rather than an employee of a brolly. But, naturally, this is just a lay person's view.
              Hey, what further information should I provide? I'm a newbie to all of this! All advice is appreciated.

Comment

Sue would give some honest advice of the options.

Comment

I think so too, but we will see what we can do to help

Comment

Originally posted by jaulin View Post
                    Hi Fredd,

I would get local advice unless you plan on figuring it all out yourself.

Key is first to determine your tax residency jurisdiction. And it could be that you are tax resident in both potentially!

Comment

Working...
                    X