• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reduced rate VAT on renovation via Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The renovation is via the LTD but you said you bought the house... I assume this is you as a business and not you as an individual?
    ^^ this

If you personally own the house but YourCo is paying for the renovation, are you intending for YourCo to have a stake in the property or are you taking a director's loan? As you're talking £40k you need to look into the rules around the DLA and how to keep the loan compliant.

Comment

The house is personal and nothing to do with my Ltd. I am just asking if it is legitimate for my Ltd to purchase materials with the cost being immediately paid back to my Ltd by me as a means to benefit from the reduced VAT rate.

Edit: so yes I guess this could be considered directors loan. Unless there is a legitimate way for my Ltd to buy and sell goods which I suppose is the core of what I'm getting at.
      Last edited by Rafd; 13 April 2018, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafd View Post
        The house is personal and nothing to do with my Ltd. I am just asking if it is legitimate for my Ltd to purchase materials with the cost being immediately paid back to my Ltd by me as a means to benefit from the reduced VAT rate.
        Given that HMRC are a bit iffy when it comes to the 5% rule amongst other things, if they picked up on you buying materials through your company then paying it back out of your personal account, they might not be too happy.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Is the builder reputable? Have you seen any of their work? The reason I ask is because I’d expect most decent builders in high demand to be over the VAT threshold. It would only take two or three extension jobs a year to exceed the threshold. Unless they are just a single sole trader who only does smaller jobs it raises a few eyebrows.

Comment

The house is personal and nothing to do with my Ltd. .
            IMO keep it that way.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Is the builder reputable? Have you seen any of their work? The reason I ask is because I’d expect most decent builders in high demand to be over the VAT threshold. It would only take two or three extension jobs a year to exceed the threshold. Unless they are just a single sole trader who only does smaller jobs it raises a few eyebrows.
              Or a builder who does a lot of cash in hand jobs. Like most builders who are sole traders.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Edit: so yes I guess this could be considered directors loan. Unless there is a legitimate way for my Ltd to buy and sell goods which I suppose is the core of what I'm getting at.
                If it's put through YourCo. against your Director's Loan Account, then the VAT isn't claimable. It's also not Legit to attempt to do so, so your Accountant will (should) counsel you against it.

IANYA
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Or a builder who does a lot of cash in hand jobs. Like most builders who are sole traders.
                  Not one that does any significantly sized five figure sum building works I wouldn't have thought.

Comment

I've bought a house which is in need of renovation and qualifies for the reduced 5% VAT rate on works/materials due to being empty for over 2 years. I have read the relevant HMRC pages and it only seems to work if hiring a VAT registered building company to do the work. The building contractor bills you the reduced rate on work and materials then I guess claims back the materials VAT from HMRC.

However, the builder I was planning on using is non VAT registered so it would seem I would lose out on the VAT reduction on materials. I am wondering if there is an alternative way to buy materials via my own Ltd. My Ltd becomes the supplier but does not actually make or lose any money in the process. Does that sound in any way viable or am I clutching at straws? Are there issues with running multiple types of business through the same company?

Thanks!
                    It can work, and a captive development company isn't exactly novel or unusual in the development sector.

Where your plan falls down, I think, is the supply at 5% must be on a composite supply of construction services, not just materials.

So YourCo would need to contract the builder in, and then charge you 5% on both labour and materials. So you save 15% on materials, incur 5% on labour. YourCo can reclaim vat at normal rate on the materials bought.

You also would probably have to look at CIS administration if YourCo is moving into building trade.

YourCO would need suitable Public Liability.

All in all the hasstle factor is considerable for a one off, but its doable. Seek your accountants advice to discuss further.

Comment

Thanks for the good info Jessica, I hadn't considered paying for the contractor via my Ltd. Although by the sounds of it it could be more work than is worth it.

Comment

Working...
                      X