• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40% rule. 40% of what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40% rule. 40% of what?

I've got a temporary part time contract which starting to look like it might go beyond 24 months, however its pretty close to 40% depending on how you measure it. So is it 40% of 5 * 52, or 40% of days actually worked (which may be 6 * 52, less holidays), or something else?

I's not a hard and fast rule, merely HMRC's usual fuzzy description of the reality, but 40% of time worked is the way I read it: i.e. less than 60% on site.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

40% of working time. It is hard and fast and specific.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim32080

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim32092

The second link is an example in which someone only works two days a week, one at a temporary site that exceeds 24 months. Because it is more than 50% of working time, even though it is only one day a week, the 24 month rule applies.

Comment

Yes, it is 40% of your working time.

The rules are quite clear, and although the guidance is old it is all there for you. And for once with HMRC some good examples given.

Comment

Hi
          On the back of this is it 40% at one client??
          To expand
          If I am working for 2 clients, both in London and close to one another but only doing 20% at 1 and 30% at another.
          Does that count as 50% in one location (as they are both close to one another and there is no change to my travel)
          or it is per contract?
          I read somewhere that location is everything!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
            Hi
            On the back of this is it 40% at one client??
            To expand
            If I am working for 2 clients, both in London and close to one another but only doing 20% at 1 and 30% at another.
            Does that count as 50% in one location (as they are both close to one another and there is no change to my travel)
            or it is per contract?
            I read somewhere that location is everything!!!
            Take a look at the sticky. The first thing it says is worth remembering - "Not again"...

The rest is pretty relevant as well

HTH.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X