• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding an accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding an accountant

So,

I'm starting out contracting and also running a number of projects myself, all in a single Ltd Co.

As opposed to just going with the first account who is presented to me, I have decided that I will have a conversation with a few accounting professionals over the next number of weeks.

It would be super helpful if anybody could share their experiences with going about such an exercise. I am compiling a list of questions that I am putting to service providers as a first screen. I've already discounted one guy because he was based up north and didn't do Skype and I couldn't find him on LinkedIn. He also was not able to provide any references given confidentiality clauses in engagements.

Current questions:
    • Pricing method: per job, retainer, hourly?
    • Actual rates, in the context of previous answer.
    • Relevant certifications
    • Typical sectors covered
    • LinkedIn profile
    • Base? Will we be able to meet face to face from time to time?
    • References (past employment/self employment clients)

Thanks guys
    Last edited by password; 2 March 2018, 17:31.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a recommendations thread full of. Information such as this :
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Wouldn't it be great if we had a recommendations thread full of. Information such as this :
      No need to be a sarcastic cxxt! I wasn't asking for a recommendation but the kinds of things you guys ask when selecting an accountant..

I can assure you that I won't be picking a professional to manage my accountant on the back of some recommendations from anonymous posters on an online forum.

The purpose of this thread is to try and discover the different things to consider when performing due diligence on somebody who is going to have significant influence on my personal finances.

If you have nothing valuable to add and only concerned with you post count, please jog on and find another thread to crap on mate.

Edit: I just saw your tagline is: "My post count is Majestic"

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It would also be great if there was some kind of search where hundreds of other threads could be located.

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
          No need to be a sarcastic cxxt! I wasn't asking for a recommendation but the kinds of things you guys ask when selecting an accountant..

I can assure you that I won't be picking a professional to manage my accountant on the back of some recommendations from anonymous posters on an online forum.

The purpose of this thread is to try and discover the different things to consider when performing due diligence on somebody who is going to have significant influence on my personal finances.

If you have nothing valuable to add and only concerned with you post count, please jog on and find another thread to crap on mate.

Edit: I just saw your tagline is: "My post count is Majestic"
          LOL

Comment

Ask them if they offer Freeagent as part of their package and if Hardeep Mangat has anything to do with them. If they say yes and who? you are on the right track.

Freeagent can handle multiple projects as standard by the way which might be useful to you. You can sign up for a free trial to have a look around for nothing.

And just for clarity they are not my recommendations. They are gathered from feedback from other respected posters or or from the actual effort they put in to the forum so is a qualified list rather than random.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 2 March 2018, 17:53.

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
              If you looked at the recommendation thread you might find the exact information you’re asking for. It’s a long thread.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Ok thanks guys

Comment

https://support.freeagent.com/hc/en-...on-to-Projects

Comment

The first question should be - Do you offer FreeAgent? Unless the answer is yes, then move along. Frankly, for a one man band I find your questions rather off the wall. Let's be honest, your one man band contracting company is nothing special. It's just like everyone else's.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X