• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clearsky, Parasol, SJD & Nixon Williams (Optionis) For Sale at £300m !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    Re the OP, hmmm...despite my comments above, I've checked down the back of the sofa and sadly don't have £300m.
    Why pay for it @Maslins when people are leaving in droves!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
      Why pay for it @Maslins when people are leaving in droves!
      It's like buying a ice delivery business a year before everyone gets there own fridge

70% of contractors won't need accountants/ipse/qdos/hiscott etc when fully PAYE next year

Comment

SJD

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
        It's like buying a ice delivery business a year before everyone gets there own fridge

70% of contractors won't need accountants/ipse/qdos/hiscott etc when fully PAYE next year
        Main reason we're picking up a lot of SJD's clients at the moment (which from what I hear other firms are as well) is due to service.

Whilst would agree there'll be a hit next year, agree with the comments on @Maslin's blog. It'll weed out the genuine non-contractors, not so sure about the above % but likely to hit the lower end of the market.......some firms will be more exposed than others, especially the "sausage factory" firms. Luckily just about all our clients are on mid-tier upwards rates so less likely to be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          While I agree with your basic argument, that moving the decision to the client and forcing them to become involved is a positive, I fear the problem will be that the people making the determination will not be competent to do so.
          I envision that high paid legal eagles/insurance bods will dumb it down for the end clients. Oversimplifying a bit, do they want the worker to:
          1) do what they're told, when they're told, how they're told, or
          2) achieve result X, and they can do it how they see fit.

The end client will then have two different contracts. Those in bracket (1) will get contract A, everybody agrees it's inside IR35 (or PAYE/umbrella). Those in bracket (2) will get contract B, everybody agrees it's outside IR35.

Comment

Main reason we're picking up a lot of SJD's clients at the moment (which from what I hear other firms are as well) is due to service.
            Haven't noticed any surge in client take-on from SJD to be honest. In the last couple of months it's been those leaving Nimble Jack that's been keeping us busy! Feel sorry for them TBH.

Comment

you think

Luckily just about all our clients are on mid-tier upwards rates so less likely to be affected.
              hopefully not many of your clients will be Investment banking/Banking/insurance types as the big client players will simply declare everyone inside IR35

Comment

hopefully not many of your clients will be Investment banking/Banking/insurance types as the big client players will simply declare everyone inside IR35
                And then lose all the people who won't sign such contracts to companies with more sense, or face a never-ending cycle of tribunals from those who challenge the decision.

Not even bankers are that stupid.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Clearsky, Parasol, SJD & Nixon Williams (Optionis) For Sale at £300m !!

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  or face a never-ending cycle of tribunals from those who challenge the decision.

There will be 10 people waiting to fill each place or banks will outsource

What tribunal? They just won't get offered a IR35 free contract
                  Last edited by tarbera; 20 February 2018, 00:11.

Comment

There will be 10 people waiting to fill each place or banks will outsource

What tribunal? They just won't get offered a IR35 free contract
                    This creases me up. If banking is so awash with available contractors why are their rates so high, why is it impossible to get into banking unless you're already in in banking and what's so special about 99% of their roles anyway. IME across three major banks there are a very small number of seriously good experts in arcane fields, and a lot of overpaid and over-regarded but otherwise average IT people. Go work for a constabulary and find out what real pressure is like.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

When I was a permie hiring contractors, neither my manager or myself had ever heard of IR35.

To be fair, I doubt any of the contractors had wither as they never mentioned anything when we moved them from project to project every week.

Comment

Working...
                      X