• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sub contracted for over 2 years to local authority.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub contracted for over 2 years to local authority.

Hi all. I was a sub contractor to my local council for over 2 years full time. I never had to quote for jobs. They just gave me paperwork to do all there repairs to property's. Then after 3 months of a new manager coming in they took me into the office and told me they had no more work for me to do. And they gave me 2 weeks worth of work as notice. This seamed very strange to me as I had dedicated my last few years to them and they just dumped me for no reason at all. My work was well up to standards Infact it was quality for a council. Unfortunately I had no more customers to fall back on but they said that they didn't want to lose me as I was a very good worker so they said after the 2 weeks notice they would take me on through an agency that they used so be g single and no work and a family to fund . I accepted the job. This was very confusing the way had been done. It didn't feal right but had no idea what to do about it. ALso for the last 5 months I had one of the councils vans permantley to use for work as my vehicle had broken down so I reduced my rates to cover the fuel and van use to them. So I started on agency then after a year they took me on full time and then after 6 months they made us all redundant and had to apply for our new positions. This was a long slow process but I got the job and after a few months of stressfull work I went off with work related stress. I was off and kept putting Dr s notes in and then I started getting letters from my manager saying I was not contacting them every week and if I didn't do this I'd be in trouble. Then after a month I got the same letter threatening me to contact them again or I'd be not payed . Then I received aother letter from him saying that they had started an investigation on my use of the company phone and about contacting them. Talk about getting stressed out even more. Yes I had used the phone to talk to friends and family about my feelings and stress whi h is recommended to talk to people.. in the end I decided it was to much and got a doctor's note for 2 more weeks and handed my notice in that day and then told I couldn't use the Dr's note as I was going to start my own buisness up again.so I handed my notice in straight from that day and apparantley I'm owed 8 days holiday . But no pay for this month. Any one got any info on what I should do please as I think I have a good case and class myself as being employed by them during g my 2 years sub Co tracing to them. Thank you for reading g my post.

I don’t fully understand your post

But as I understand it your problems are related to your permanent employment and not being paid accrued holidays? - if so then you should contact the citizens advice bureau. I think.

Comment

This seamed very strange to me as I had dedicated my last few years to them and they just dumped me for no reason at all.
      That's why they use sub contractors and not employees so they can do this. Anyway, on the line above you state the reason why.
      . Yes I had used the phone to talk to friends and family about my feelings and stress whi h is recommended to talk to people..
      So why didn't you use a personal phone seems it was personal issues? You can't really blame them if they are paying for a phone you are racking up bills on while you are off work.
      I couldn't use the Dr's note as I was going to start my own buisness up
      So you are saying you are too sick to work yet as soon as you leave you are going to work. Not surprising they aren't having that.

I think I have a good case and class myself as being employed by them during g my 2 years sub Co tracing to them.
      Why on earth do you think this...

A good case for what exactly?
      https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/sick-pay-rights

Employer discretion

Your employer can choose to make an exception and pay you sick pay even if you don't qualify under the company rules. Also, some sick pay schemes say that payments are 'at the employer's discretion', which means your employer can refuse payment if they think the absence is unjustified.
      Could be they think its unjustified seems you are telling them you are too sick to work yet you are going to start a business up as soon as you leave. Looks like a poor excuse not to go in to work.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 15 February 2018, 00:18.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What I am actually trying to find out is that I had no contract with the council. I had worked directly to them only for over 2 years and never supplied any materials. I was recently told that may be I should have been classed as an employee due to the time I worked for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Justd0g View Post
          I was recently told that may be I should have been classed as an employee due to the time I worked for them.
          You don't seem to be able to express yourself very well. I think you'll struggle on here. Go to Citizens Advice or talk to the person who told you you should have been an employee.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Justd0g View Post
            What I am actually trying to find out is that I had no contract with the council. I had worked directly to them only for over 2 years and never supplied any materials. I was recently told that may be I should have been classed as an employee due to the time I worked for them.
            Maybe you should but you weren't. You don't appear to handle stress very well and money appears to be an issue so I'm sure a long expensive court case to prove you were and employee is something you are going to relish... And even if you were, what are you hoping to achieve? Win 8 days holiday pay back? Get an apology from them or what?

This is a forum of contractors as well. We spend a lot of effort trying not to look like employees. We are not the best people to ask how be an employee really.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 15 February 2018, 17:36.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X