• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC wins first IR35 case in 9 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC wins first IR35 case in 9 years

As per the title
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 May 2018, 17:28.

But they did have a partial win in 2011 with the JLJ case
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

£400k. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        £400k. Ouch.
        And £500k investment property on balance sheet (according to Companies House) which will prevent any challenge to liability under PAYE regulations. The reason why I wince at holding property in any trading company, let alone one with IR35 risks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
          And £500k investment property on balance sheet (according to Companies House) which will prevent any challenge to liability under PAYE regulations. The reason why I wince at holding property in any trading company, let alone one with IR35 risks.
          Sorry, could elaborate on that a bit please? Thanks.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

... and apparently she did ask her accountant.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              ... and apparently she did ask her accountant.
              Should have read the newbie guides on the right and googled IR35 though.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Common sense, surely? I have long wondered how a person who turns up at a pre-agreed BBC studio at a set time and reads a BBC script and cannot be under complete direction and control. I welcome this, it is just common sense and abuse of Ltd Company status.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Should have read the newbie guides on the right and googled IR35 though.
                  That would have put her in much better stead, she clearly had no idea what IR35 was until now. Mind you, how many other so called contractors out there have exactly the same attitude? Too many people rely on the sheer number of contractors out there as to why they won't be investigated
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

re

Tribunal doc here if you're interested:

http://financeandtax.decisions.tribu...00/TC06334.pdf

7 year contract and no substitution allowed probably didn't help her! I have only scanned over the doc though.

Comment

Working...
                    X