• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time renter in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mineralwasser View Post
    Yeah then it's better with a first class.. but what you mean by that you don't get a seat in either direction? Is it because you don't book seat reservation?

A seat and wi-fi is all I need to commute, just so I can get work done. Is it possible to get a seat everytime with a monthly first class ticket?

I will try to negotiate a 50/50 split between home and on site work if I can, at least until I can move somewhere closer.
    Sorry to be clear, I don't get a seat from Harpenden which is 30 mins outside London but I probably could with a first class ticket. I do get a seat on the Virgin service from north of Birmingham on my Mon and Thursday commute. (standard class because I'm tight with money)

A monthly first class season ticket will not guarantee a seat but you'd be unlucky not to get one. There are plenty of trains running through Birmingham so in the event of a fully booked train you could simply wait 10 mins for the next one.

Comment

I would rent somewhere in London directly. Problem is references and what not that agencies want. I don't have any.

So that's why I was asking if I could form an Ltd, which I need anyway, pay myself a decent salary enough to satisfy agiencies and rent that way. It would provide them references.
      This won't help you, as they generally ask for income proof for the last 12m or so. Most of them don't understand ltd. contractors at all will ask for P60 (yearly payroll statement), in most cases sa302 (tax return summary) shuts them up. As a newcomer you won't have any of these ltd. or not.

Your best bet is to be upfront with the letting agency about your situation and ask them/Landord if they would accept 3/6m rent in advance to prove you have the funds, with monthly payments from month 1, meaning you have always rolling 3/6m rent paid in advance. This have worked for friends of mine with no proof of income.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        £1500 will get u a dump outer London still a massive commute, maybe 90 mins on tube/bus. And a seat on the train? You having a laugh? Plus peak times i cant see a season ticket being so cheap.

Sounds hellish, the stress will kill you.
        This is BS exaggeration, you can get nice 2 bed house/flat in zone 4 or mediocre one in zone 2/3 for £1500pcm with 20-30min commute to Central London. Source: Have been living in such places for the past 5-6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Where in London is your client based?
          Five minutes walk from Waterloo.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            This won't help you, as they generally ask for income proof for the last 12m or so. Most of them don't understand ltd. contractors at all will ask for P60 (yearly payroll statement), in most cases sa302 (tax return summary) shuts them up. As a newcomer you won't have any of these ltd. or not.

Your best bet is to be upfront with the letting agency about your situation and ask them/Landord if they would accept 3/6m rent in advance to prove you have the funds, with monthly payments from month 1, meaning you have always rolling 3/6m rent paid in advance. This have worked for friends of mine with no proof of income.
            Yes I have considered exactly that.. don't feel comfortable though considering London rent prices, I would need about £15,000 just initially to pay the six months in advance + the relocating costs of family and what not.

The house in Birmingham is double the size of the flats I am seeing for rent in west London, £650 PCM. And it will be ready to move in two weeks from now, no need to deal with agiencies, no need for references since it's people I know.

I think I should take it, make some money, and then I can rent in London directly.
            Last edited by mineralwasser; 13 February 2018, 12:37.

Comment

Yes I have considered exactly that.. don't feel comfortable though considering London rent prices, I would need about £15,000 just initially to pay the six months in advance + the relocating costs of family and what not.

The house in Birmingham is double the size of the flats I am seeing for rent in west London, £650 PCM. And it will be ready to move in two weeks from now, no need to deal with agiencies, no need for references since it's people I know.

I think I should take it, make some money, and then I can rent in London directly.
              Another thing to consider is how far away it is at the Birmingham end. Are you within a 10 minute walk of the station or are you relying on public transport to get you to the station in a morning too? Have you look ed at the area too in Birmingham. £650 for a house in a major city sounds very cheap, so I would wonder that state it or the area is in.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
                Another thing to consider is how far away it is at the Birmingham end. Are you within a 10 minute walk of the station or are you relying on public transport to get you to the station in a morning too? Have you look ed at the area too in Birmingham. £650 for a house in a major city sounds very cheap, so I would wonder that state it or the area is in.
                Yeah you're right. I will know everything tonight once I talk with the owner.

Comment

If you're working near Waterloo, then staying north of London is just adding lots of time onto a commute.
                  Look at the South Western routes into London if you don't want to stay in the city.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Don't relocate whole family to UK based on a contract !!!

Keep your family where they are, go trough your first 6m of contract, accumulate some funds, get a fell for the life, work market etc. - only then consider relocating your family.

Contracts can fall through at the drop of a hat and you will most likely struggle securing another in a timely manner with no UK experience.

Comment

I know quite a few IT contractors who commute daily from Coventry to London - and there journey is less than an hour.....don't know about local rents/areas , etc. but might be worth an area considering...

Comment

Working...
                      X