• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency requesting ID for a Ltd company employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    The way I see it, it's a nice easy way to prove who you say you are and (for most of us) proof that you have a right to work.

I don't send it to anyone who asks, but if you've had an interview and the role is being firmed up into a contract, sure.

The agency are paying you so have a reasonable right to perform their own due diligence and on behalf of their clients.
    ^^ This

And end client also want to know (especially in the public and financial sectors) that (sub)contractors have the correct right to work. It would be bad for their image if it turns out they are (sub)-contracting to illegal immigrants

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Must have been a close run thing with 696 other posts of his.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expand this to cover any thread at all would it?
      Not unreasonable at all.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        The agency are paying you so have a reasonable right to perform their own due diligence and on behalf of their clients.
        Asking for photo ID, and citing legislation that they acknowledge does not apply, is not the best way to perform due diligence.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If they ask for your bank details too, please don't share it.

Comment

Originally posted by newmove View Post
            If they ask for your bank details too, please don't share it.
            Best avoid any financial services gigs then
            "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

And don't ever give them your address. They are passing it on to aliens who will come and take you away.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
                Best avoid any financial services gigs then
                Best avoid any gigs you get paid for.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If you get to the point where you feel that it is better to supply a scan, you should scan the passport in black and white, redact all numbers etc and write COPY across the photo.

This approach got me past a couple of jobsworth agents in the past. They can't really complain because you have provided a scan and they don't really know what it's for. They have a tick in their box and I am comfortable that all I have given away is a poor quality black and white image.

Comment

The end client, if in FS, will want far more than your passport. They have their own levels of operational risk measures and if you don't accept them, you don't get to the desk that you can start accruing invoicing time at. But, yeah, you stick it to the man.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X