• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency requesting ID for a Ltd company employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Care to share your passport details here on this forum seeing as it's "no biggie" to be giving sensitive personal information to strangers?
    Sigh.

What document would you choose to provide in order to prove you are who you say you are ?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Care to share your passport details here on this forum seeing as it's "no biggie" to be giving sensitive personal information to strangers?

And if the agent wants a copy of your DNA in order to "profile" you since they know that passports can be faked? Do you simply provide it as it's a lot easier?
      And here we have it folks. Early on and we already have moronic posting of the year.

Two logical fallacies - slippery slope, and ridiculous extremes. Well done.

@billybiro you are incapable of adding any value to this thread so please don't post in it any more. Any further post by you will be considered trolling.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
        Sigh.

What document would you choose to provide in order to prove you are who you say you are ?
        Sigh.

I don't need to prove who I say I am to the agent - the agency has a contract with a limited company to provide a qualified resource to deliver what is agreed in the contract.

If you are opted out of the agency regulations (as the OP is) there is no need for the agency to verify anything about your identity, nationality or right to work in the UK - this is the responsibility of the company providing the services.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I think there's the rules and then there's real life. I break most of the rules that some people on here hold as sacred because I find it helps me get gigs. And that's what it's all about.

1. I opt out.
          Why? Because I've found it helps me get gigs. Whether people like it or not, some agents won't put your CV in front of the client if you refuse to opt out. Illegal? Yes. Does it happen? Of course it does.

2. I give them the two references.
          Why? Because I've found it helps me get gigs. Quid pro quo. They submit me and I get an interview, then they get their two references.

3. They want to check my ID on a B2B contract?
          Fine - here's a scan of my passport.

4. Offer a £500 incentive for the agent who gets me the gig?
          No problem. Why? Because it helps me get gigs. Getting myself in front of the client is everything. I've got a huge strike rate if I can get in front of the client (~100% I think, can't recall the last one I didn't get), but a terrible strike rate when simply submitting my CV to agents (and there's nothing wrong with the CV).

But that's just me. Others may be more robust in asserting their rights.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            And here we have it folks. Early on and we already have moronic posting of the year.
            Must have been a close run thing with 696 other posts of his.
            Any further post by you will be considered trolling.
            It wouldn't be unreasonable to expand this to cover any thread at all would it?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
              4. Offer a £500 incentive for the agent who gets me the gig?
              No problem.
              How do you get round the legal issues that ensue?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                How do you get round the legal issues that ensue?
                That's simple, he doesn't post on the internet telling everyone about it.

Comment

Just get your cat to piss in a jar and send it to them

Comment

My objection is with sharing information which potentially could be used for identity or credit theft. We live in a world where the public are happy to share personal information without asking why it is needed. Not only could the agency not do this (they quoted; HMRC reporting, ISO 2001 and employment act) they failed to stipulate how this data would be used as required under the DPA. It could be stored, shared, who knows. I've worked in I.T long enough to know once data is in a system the DPA goes out the window.

I turned down a contract because of this issue with Experia. They flippantly give no excuse for needing it other than "come on, we're the largest contracting agency in the UK - what do you think will happen to it?" My reply was "Uber". Now I'm with another agency and I've already began the contract so I doubt they'll press the matter.

I carry out my business on business terms. It's not my I.D they're asking for, they're asking my company to share the I.D for one of it's employees. As an employee of said company I do not give it the right to share it.

Cheers!

PS) perhaps if you've opted out and provided self-employed details (I.D and references) then a IR35 investigation may not consider you an employee of the company...
                    Last edited by snoopy20; 7 February 2018, 22:38.

Comment

Are you reeeealy an employee of your company? Huh.. Huh..? You sure?

Looks like you are giving Billybiro a run for the his title to me.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 7 February 2018, 23:06.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X