• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency requesting ID for a Ltd company employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency requesting ID for a Ltd company employee

Hi,

I operate a Ltd company and an employee (me) does work by way of a contracted arranged by the agency for a client. Opt-out is in place.

The intermediary regulations have been fulfilled by way of an NI number. The agency however is requesting I.D (passport copy) under:-

The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003

In particular:-

Confirmation to be obtained about a work-seeker

19. Neither an agency nor an employment business may introduce or supply a work-seeker to a hirer unless it has obtained confirmation—

(a)of the identity of the work-seeker;
    (b)that the work-seeker has the experience, training, qualifications and any authorisation which the hirer considers are necessary, or which are required by law or by any professional body, to work in the position which the hirer seeks to fill; and
    (c)that the work-seeker is willing to work in the position which the hirer seeks to fill.

My position here is the relationship is between two Ltd companies by way of a contract and that a "work-seeker" applies only to self-employed (since a company must I.D it's employees to attain right to work).

is this position correct (legally correct, not whether you 'feel' that I.D should[nt] be provided)?

Regards,

Andrew

Originally posted by snoopy20 View Post
    is this position correct (legally correct, not whether you 'feel' that I.D should[nt] be provided)?
    Yes - if you have opted out then the regulations cannot apply.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Great, this is the second agency that is gobbling up data they have no right too.

Comment

The laws around right to work are a bit of a nightmare and they'll ask just to cover their backs even if it's not correct. Just appease them and get on with the gig.

Are you really an employee of your LTD BTW?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am via PAYE, and it's not just a Ltd for tax benefits as it has two revenue streams.

I will not provide personal I.D just for appeasement. I'll ask for their password details and see how they take it!

Comment

I provided my passport details when I took on the current gig. It was part of clientcos contractor onboarding process anyway.

No biggie IMO.

Comment

I am via PAYE, and it's not just a Ltd for tax benefits as it has two revenue streams.

I will not provide personal I.D just for appeasement. I'll ask for their password details and see how they take it!
              That's right. Throw some rubbish in to the mix. That'll help.

Here's an article highlighting the known problem with inconsistency and what appears to be a bit of pragmatic good advice at the bottom. Might want to have a read.

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...onsistent.html

Comment

Good luck with that.

Next time I’m on the bench - I’ll see you there.

Comment

What is your issue with providing an agent with the information?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    What is your issue with providing an agent with the information?
                    Billy Big balls syndrome.

Comment

Working...
                    X