• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£160k pension contribution including previous three years: is this a problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MB2 View Post
    I did this a few years ago - similar situation re salary/dividends. Used an old pension scheme as justification and although the IFA said I may get questioned it went through fine.
    I mentioned £120k to my IFA a few years back and he said that he'd had lots more than that be allocated in a similar fashion without batting an eyelid.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I expect is quite common with smaller ltds for directors to neglect pension contributions for a few years whilst building up the business, or have a good year and use to reduce CT liability.

Comment

As has been mentioned previously, you need to be aware of the "tapered annual allowance"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pension-...nual-allowance

You'd be in the ‘adjusted income’ is over £150,000 bracket, just need to check that your threshold income is below £110K

Example 3 is useful in the following guide
        https://www.youinvest.co.uk/sites/de...e_tapering.pdf
        Last edited by adubya; 2 February 2018, 12:03.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. My accountant hasn't got back yet, but he promised he'd be in touch by COB today. We shall see...

I understand that contributing the whole £160k now means I'd get hit by the tapered allowance rules. So contributing £80k this year and next years seems to be the way forward.

Stupid question: When my company makes a backdated pension contribution, can it choose to pay that from its retained earnings? Or is it implicitly always coming from the current year's earnings, and therefore has an effect on the current year's P/L position?

Comment

Pension

It would hit the current year P&L, presumably this will create a loss in the accounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
              It would hit the current year P&L, presumably this will create a loss in the accounts?
              No, £80k won't create a loss for the year... I was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
                I have just opened a SIPP account. My accountant had previously said that my company can make not only the max £40k contribution to my pension this tax year, but also a £40k contribution for each of the previous three tax years, making the total contribution a massive £160k.

That got me all fired up, so I set up the SIPP and just asked him one last time if it’s OK if I now transferred the £160k to the SIPP account.
                Top thread, been planning to do something similar, confirms my understanding.

Out of interest (and since there's been a few other threads about various SIPPs recently) which SIPP did you go for?
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Out of interest (and since there's been a few other threads about various SIPPs recently) which SIPP did you go for?
                  AJ Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post

I understand that contributing the whole £160k now means I'd get hit by the tapered allowance rules.
                    ?
                    Are you sure ? There are two thresholds you need to exceed, the "adjusted income" and the "threshold income".

"adjusted income" threshold (150K) includes company pension contributions so you'd exceed that.

But the "threshold income" (110K) is your income excluding the company pension contributions. You'd exceed that if your income is > £110K.

That's a lot of salary and dividends for a contractor.

Read example 3 of this -> https://www.youinvest.co.uk/sites/de...e_tapering.pdf
                    Last edited by adubya; 2 February 2018, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

iWeb for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X