• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capital gains calculation - Is my self assessment correct?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital gains calculation - Is my self assessment correct?

Hi all,
    Please can someone from accounting background validate my calculations.

I closed my limited company via MVL. I am filling in my self assessment. I received say £120k as capital distribution (no other capital gains this year) .

Page 15 - under the section "Other property, assets and gains"
    Box 14. Number of disposals = 1
    Box 15. Disposal Proceeds = 120000
    Box 16: Allowable costs = 0
    Box 17: Gains in the year before losses = 108700
    Box 20: Any claim/election = yes (Entrepreneurs relief)

Page 17 Loss and adjustments section
    Box 50: Gains qualifying for ER (after 2010) = 108700

Is this correct? Did I choose the correct sections/boxes?

When you setup the company, did you have any share capital? If you did then put those few pounds in box 16 as well - eg £100 if you had a share capital of 100 £1 shares etc. Every little helps and all that

Is the ERL code available in the drop down list (box 20 on the paper form) for what relief you are claiming? It used not to be there which caused errors when you came to submit because you need to enter the code to claim the relief. HMRC technical support are aware that it needed to be fixed but I don't know if they ever fixed it or not - their advice was to submit a paper return, but of course that deadline has passed now.

Don't forget to include the separate calculation sheet as well.

IANAA.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      When you setup the company, did you have any share capital? If you did then put those few pounds in box 16 as well - eg £100 if you had a share capital of 100 £1 shares etc. Every little helps and all that

Is the ERL code available in the drop down list (box 20 on the paper form) for what relief you are claiming? It used not to be there which caused errors when you came to submit because you need to enter the code to claim the relief. HMRC technical support are aware that it needed to be fixed but I don't know if they ever fixed it or not - their advice was to submit a paper return, but of course that deadline has passed now.

Don't forget to include the separate calculation sheet as well.

IANAA.
      Thank you. Yes ERL code is available in the drop down list.

Comment

Is this the correct section for capital gains? - "Other property, assets and gains"

Not "unlisted shares" ? As I got it from shares of a Limited Company ?

When I put it under "unlisted shares" - but it showed no ERL option in the drop down.

Comment

Is all this worth saving a 100 quid over? What is your potential exposure if you get it wrong?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Is all this worth saving a 100 quid over? What is your potential exposure if you get it wrong?
            Do you know an accountant who can do it for me?

Comment

Accountants

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
              Do you know an accountant who can do it for me?
              Maybe

Comment

Working...
              X