• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can my company pay for Eurostar expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a permanent employee my train fares and flights were paid for directly by my employer, but they also allowed me to book some fares myself and them claim them back. So either method is ok for our limited companies too I presume.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy O View Post
      When I was a permanent employee my train fares and flights were paid for directly by my employer, but they also allowed me to book some fares myself and them claim them back. So either method is ok for our limited companies too I presume.
      You presume wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        You presume wrong...
        Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

I'm waiting for the bit where the OP says he's not paying Belgian tax....
          But what if the agent tells him he can do this?

Is his agent above tax officials?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            But what if the agent tells him he can do this?
            Then that's grand.

Comment

Your company can pay for whatever it likes. Whether it's tax deductible for the company or a tax benefit for the end user is another question ...

Comment

You presume wrong...
                Eh? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy O View Post
                  It doesn’t matter which way you do it, in the case of travel how it is paid for makes absolutely no difference to how the expense is taxed.

If it’s valid business travel, it’s not taxable or reportable, if it’s not valid business travel it’s a taxable BIK. In either case it’s tax deductible for corporation tax purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post
                    Permanent residence: London
                    Work place: Brussels (Mon-Fri) sometimes maybe wfh, but that's TBD
                    Max contract time: 6-7 months
                    Then back to London.
                    Past 13 years before this contract, lived in UK.
                    Based on your information, you will remain tax resident in the UK under the automatic test if you spend more than 183 days in UK and you keep access your main home but if you establish a permanent home/place of business in Belgium and/or spend longer there, you and your company may become tax residents in Belgium. The rules for travel to a temporary work place should still apply for you when travelling outside of the UK. If your permanent place of residence is still the UK and you keep your home here, your journeys to Belgium will be for the purpose of your trade, and should not be seen as a personal expense. Out of interest, when you are in Belgium do you also incur costs for accommodation?

Comment

Working...
                    X