• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feeling like the Christmas turkey - stuffed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling like the Christmas turkey - stuffed

Could some please give me a clue as to how I stand? I have been contracting for a number of years and never had a problem when extensions were discussed, until now that is.

My agency wanted confirmation of extension as far back as November 2017. However there was a lot of procrastination until the very last week in the run up to Christmas. I got the extension but at cost. I was on a ££ per hour (IR35) which although low, was workable. Now, I get my 4 months extension to bail them out, but only if I accept £ set rate per day..

Basically can they do this? I argued with my agency which I now believe wanted to keep out of it.
    Mr ISL

Originally posted by ISL View Post
    Basically can they do this?
    Yes they can.

Have you looked on jobserve?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Yes they can.

Have you looked on jobserve?
      WHS.

Accept it, walk or make a counter offer.

Comment

Originally posted by ISL View Post
        Could some please give me a clue as to how I stand? I have been contracting for a number of years and never had a problem when extensions were discussed, until now that is.

My agency wanted confirmation of extension as far back as November 2017. However there was a lot of procrastination until the very last week in the run up to Christmas. I got the extension but at cost. I was on a ££ per hour (IR35) which although low, was workable. Now, I get my 4 months extension to bail them out, but only if I accept £ set rate per day..

Basically can they do this? I argued with my agency which I now believe wanted to keep out of it.
        If you're the one bailing them out you have power in this negotiation

Comment

As they are wanting to change the terms of the contract, see if there are any changes you can negotiate in to offset enough of the pain to make it worthwhile continuing, such as at least some weekly WFH to offset travel expenses you can't claim under IR35 anyway.

If they want to change to day rate, negotiate that 1 day is 5 hours so can arrive late/leave early if it suits.

Also insist on new clauses so if SHTF then working beyond the agreed professional day number of hours results in increased pay, so you're not working 12 hour days on the same day rate.

Plenty of scope for such stuff. No guarantee they will agree to any of it though, so think about walking and the impact of that to yourself.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Any idea why they may have gone from hourly to daily? I've only ever seen daily for what I do so not sure how common hourly rates are. Are they just moving with the times or has something happened?

Are you out of pocket with this change? Have you been billing them 10 hours a day so you believe you are out of pocket? Nothing you've done that's made them re-think this?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Any idea why they may have gone from hourly to daily? I've only ever seen daily for what I do so not sure how common hourly rates are. Are they just moving with the times or has something happened?

Are you out of pocket with this change? Have you been billing them 10 hours a day so you believe you are out of pocket? Nothing you've done that's made them re-think this?
              You're fooling nobody, sweetheart.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.

It may be an issue with working too many hours a day - or perhaps too few.

Does 7-8 hours at the old rate add up to 1 day at the new rate? Then sign up!

Use your leverage if you think you have any.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.

It may be an issue with working too many hours a day - or perhaps too few.

Does 7-8 hours at the old rate add up to 1 day at the new rate? Then sign up!

Use your leverage if you think you have any.
                  or they're expecting the OP to work his nuts off on a day rate to get them out of the keich.
                  only the OP can call this IMO

and having been contracting for some years, he should have enough liquidity to walk if he doesn't get the deal he wants.

Comment

Chap I used to work with was informed there was a 10% cut coming and responded with: excellent, I was wanting to open a discussion about rate, I am looking for a 20% rise. He ended up getting 10%, it is all about how much they want you and how much you are prepared to walk.
                    If you are scared and have no other options, take it, make sure you have a notice clause and start looking...

Comment

Working...
                    X