• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feeling like the Christmas turkey - stuffed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP - well either party can do what they want and then the other has to decide whether to accept?

The move to day rate is strange. As someone said, have you been working/billing 10 hour days? I expect they're thinking pay day rate and get the same 10 hours for less.

If this is their plan then that'd be the end of the 10 hour days for me and back to 8 hours average.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      OP - well either party can do what they want and then the other has to decide whether to accept?

The move to day rate is strange. As someone said, have you been working/billing 10 hour days? I expect they're thinking pay day rate and get the same 10 hours for less.

If this is their plan then that'd be the end of the 10 hour days for me and back to 8 hours average.
      Yes but...

If the income works with 10 hour days but not with 8 then that is not much help.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Yes but...

If the income works with 10 hour days but not with 8 then that is not much help.
        Depends if he was working 10 hours at £30 an hour before (i.e. £300/day) and now they want to pay £240 a day and still want 10 hours a day.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Yes they can.

Have you looked on jobserve?
          I am on both Jobserve and CV library
          Mr ISL

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Any idea why they may have gone from hourly to daily? I've only ever seen daily for what I do so not sure how common hourly rates are. Are they just moving with the times or has something happened?

Are you out of pocket with this change? Have you been billing them 10 hours a day so you believe you are out of pocket? Nothing you've done that's made them re-think this?
            Getting close to being out of pocket. firstly I did between 8 - 12 hours a day and my other half does a car share sometimes with me. Rate was £40 per hour. then because they screwed up a major project, it got knocked down to £300 full stop as their excuse was "this is what we meant" my agency did not fight on my behalf so now I am looking for a role up in London.
            Mr ISL

Comment

Originally posted by ISL View Post
              Getting close to being out of pocket. firstly I did between 8 - 12 hours a day and my other half does a car share sometimes with me. Rate was £40 per hour. then because they screwed up a major project, it got knocked down to £300 full stop as their excuse was "this is what we meant" my agency did not fight on my behalf so now I am looking for a role up in London.
              All sounds reasonable to me. Booking 10 to 12 hours a day on a project is going to screw up their budgeting which will probably be on x people doing y days at z cost per day.

I thought it might be something to do with over billing. I think to leave this because you've had it so good could be a mistake. You aren't going to find a golden egg like that so you might have reset your expectations... unless the 300 they meant is way below market rate and is a piss take.

That said.. 8 hours at that rate is £360 so looks like they could be taking advantage at £300
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ISL View Post
                When on an hourly rate, unless they’re expecting a load of extra billing, you’re better of doing the extra hours Mon-Thu and take Friday afternoon off. That won’t screw their budget and you get paid fairly.
                At the very least, as soon as you go beyond 8hrs/day average you need to make sure they’re happy with it.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

For sure if they're expecting you to continue putting those hours in for that day rate they are taking the piss.

See what hours they expect, and when the project is behind due to the drop in man hours delivered make sure the contract has 'overtime' rate for working beyond those hours, or some other way of you clawing back the time/money.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    That said.. 8 hours at that rate is £360 so looks like they could be taking advantage at £300
                    8 hours at £40 = £320, not £360

Looks like they are expecting a 7.5 hour professional working day at £40 an hour so not taking advantage at all (unless 7.5 hours is way off the norm)
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X