• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good Accountant For self employed contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

I looking a good accountant who can proactively advise on expenses and claiming?
    I am self employed.

Most of the accountant I have had have been not been great with very poor knowledge.
    it seems I paying for quatelry vat, paye calculation and Corporation tax. Most of the them claim to help at the start and after that dont do any thing and advise is also rubbish.

I would appreciate like to hear from people who have good accountant who can advise on things that can be claimed
    1) keep tab on change on law and advise proactively how it impact me and if I am not claiming any thing how can I claim withing the remit of HRMC rules.
    2) Actually look at the expense sheet and advise if something is wrong or something that can be claimed . is not.

Regards
    Anuj

Welcome, Anuj.
    While waiting for others to make suggestions, there's a link over on the right of this page that will take you to a list of accountants.
    https://www.contractoruk.com/directo..._services.html

While claiming expenses is a big part of consultancy accounting, you need to make sure that everything else is paid correctly as well - VAT, CT, etc. Any good accountant will be able to advise you on what can and can't be done. If a qualified accountant who is recommended on here says that something can't be done, it's probably fair to say that they know what they are talking about. Someone who promises 80%+ return is most likely not offering a service that is legal.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Dynamo Accounts - Darren is the man.

Actually not sure about your point 2 - you should be doing this in any case. It's your business and your job to manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post

Actually not sure about your point 2 - you should be doing this in any case. It's your business and your job to manage it.
        I disagree. Any decent accountant should review the expenses submitted by clients to make sure valid, and also offer useful suggestions if typical expenses are missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew@HillierHopkins View Post
          I disagree. Any decent accountant should review the expenses submitted by clients to make sure valid, and also offer useful suggestions if typical expenses are missing.
          My point is that he should know, broadly, what are allowable expenses and claim appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
            My point is that he should know, broadly, what are allowable expenses and claim appropriately.
            Agree but clients are clients! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew@HillierHopkins View Post
              Agree but clients are clients! :-)
              Also agree but my position is that we are running businesses and our job is to be a contractor as opposed to a .NET programmer. As such we have obligations to meet, including operating our business legally. Yes the paid experts should monitor and advise on all aspects of the client's business and correct (or at least highlight) an obvious errors, but that does not IMHO absolve the business owner from knowing what is and isn't allowable.

I see far too many posts from people who admit they CBA to deal with all the hassle or equally CBA to do even the simplest Google search to get some starter-for-ten clue or whose only focus is the magic money pit. They are doing our case with HMG no good at all and need to be reminded of the fact.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Also agree but my position is that we are running businesses and our job is to be a contractor as opposed to a .NET programmer. As such we have obligations to meet, including operating our business legally. Yes the paid experts should monitor and advise on all aspects of the client's business and correct (or at least highlight) an obvious errors, but that does not IMHO absolve the business owner from knowing what is and isn't allowable.

I see far too many posts from people who admit they CBA to deal with all the hassle or equally CBA to do even the simplest Google search to get some starter-for-ten clue or whose only focus is the magic money pit. They are doing our case with HMG no good at all and need to be reminded of the fact.
                I wish more clients were like you!

Comment

Working...
                X