• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nearing 2 years at a client /24 Months rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nearing 2 years at a client /24 Months rule

Hello Forum Members

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2018 when it arrives.

I needed some prompt assistance with a few questions I have regarding the 24 month rule.
    I am contracting with my Limited Co at a client for nearly 23 months.

I wanted to know if I work for 24 or more months what will be implications/ IR35 implications.

1- In terms of my claimable expenses (travel / food expenses).
    2- If I choose to work with the client for another 6-12 months
    3- What if I finish with the client and come back to the client after a month (on a new contract) will I be able to reset my 24 month rule.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks & Regards
    Mr P.

First step, work your way through the sticky thread here:
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-nutshell.html

If you find after that you still have questions, feel free to continue this thread.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Panda100 View Post
      Hello Forum Members

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2018 when it arrives.

I needed some prompt assistance with a few questions I have regarding the 24 month rule.
      I am contracting with my Limited Co at a client for nearly 23 months.

I wanted to know if I work for 24 or more months what will be implications/ IR35 implications.

1- In terms of my claimable expenses (travel / food expenses).
      2- If I choose to work with the client for another 6-12 months
      3- What if I finish with the client and come back to the client after a month (on a new contract) will I be able to reset my 24 month rule.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks & Regards
      Mr P.
      Please take advice already given by NAT to read up.
      In short:
      1. you can't claim
      2. you can't claim
      3. no
      Clarity is everything

Comment

To add to what previous posters said, length of contract has no bearing on IR35 (apart from the danger that you drop your guard and become part and parcel of the organisation)

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          Please take advice already given by NAT to read up.
          In short:
          1. you can't claim
          2. you can't claim
          3. no
          Perhaps you also need to read up

1. Possibly
          2. Possibly
          3 No

Devil is the the detail ie percentage of time spent at client locations, will all be in the linked thread
          Last edited by Major Hassle; 27 December 2017, 03:44.
          "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

24 Months Rule

Thank you All.

Appreciate your help. I may have questions which I will raise.

Thanks
            Panda100

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
              Perhaps you also need to read up..
              No I don't, thanks. The OP didn't mention anything about time % on-site. So on face value, it seemed safe to assume he/she would be full-time [100%] on-site, & if so, no claim would be permissible.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Consider asking for a rate rise at next renewal to offset some or all of the expense.

Client will most likely be aware you aren't local so it can be a useful reason to see if there's wiggle room for a rise, or if not to turn down the renewal offer as it's out of your hands if the costs don't add up if you can't claim the expenses, presuming you're prepared to walk if the client doesn't value you enough to pay more for your services after proving yourself over the last 2 years.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                X