• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unaware of Directors loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directors Loan

Bit concerning that the accountant hasn't picked this up or mentioned an overdrawn directors loan account at the year end, let alone through the year itself. Highlights one of the benefits of a realtime system such as Freeagent.

Comment

Originally posted by equinox View Post
      Yes, SJD. Much experience with them?
      I found myself with a directors loan at SJD - never actually got to the bottom of it - settled it after a few years and paid a bit of interest. I'd get rid of SJD if I were you - this is likely to be the start of more troubles. Plus their online system is tulip I've heard - switch to Free Agent - I can recommend Darren.

Comment

At intouch everything seems to go through the directors loan (dividends/salary/expenses etc) but you get a monthly summary when you close your month of accounts and as long as you pay everything as listed then it’s always £0. Seems a nice way to do it.

I assume FreeAgent does something similar.

Comment

There is no need to run everything through a director's loan account. In fact, I think it is a terrible idea.

Pay your salary separately and base it on your payslip.
          Pay your dividend(s) separately and prepare your divi minute/voucher.
          Pay your expenses separately based on your expense claim.
          If you want to take a loan, take that separately.

Taking 'drawings' and putting them to your loan to then 'sort it out' at month/year end is just asking for trouble IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
            At intouch everything seems to go through the directors loan (dividends/salary/expenses etc) but you get a monthly summary when you close your month of accounts and as long as you pay everything as listed then it’s always £0. Seems a nice way to do it.

I assume FreeAgent does something similar.
            You know what assume does....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You know what assume does....
              No.

But let me ask my accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
                No.

But let me ask a FA accountant.
                FTFY
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  FTFY
                  It didn't need fixing.

My accountant is a FA accountant.

Comment

Unaware of Directors loan

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
                    There is no need to run everything through a director's loan account. In fact, I think it is a terrible idea.

Pay your salary separately and base it on your payslip.
                    Pay your dividend(s) separately and prepare your divi minute/voucher.
                    Pay your expenses separately based on your expense claim.
                    If you want to take a loan, take that separately.

Taking 'drawings' and putting them to your loan to then 'sort it out' at month/year end is just asking for trouble IMO.
                    Beat me to it. I was just about to post the same. Why use a DLA when you don’t have to. IME, it just causes extra work, and gives HMRC something to delve into should you ever be investigated.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                      Beat me to it. I was just about to post the same. Why use a DLA when you don’t have to. IME, it just causes extra work, and gives HMRC something to delve into should you ever be investigated.
                      Agree. 10, 15, maybe 20, years ago, it was the norm, but life’s now moved on. (Christ, I sound old)

Comment

Working...
                      X