• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closed my limited company to work on Plan B. I might have to start contracting again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closed my limited company to work on Plan B. I might have to start contracting again

Hi all,

I stopped working in December 2015 (maternity break). The company remained dormant for all of 2016. I then decided to close it down as I wanted to be a stay-at-home mum for a while and also to explore other business opportunities that give me the flexibility to work from home. The company was closed in March 2017. I started working on plan B in early 2016. Its been 18 months now and I've just launched. Looks like it will take time to scale up. I'm not even making enough to cover childcare costs for 3 children. Looks like I have to return to working in the city to get some cash coming in for the bills while my business picks up.

Do my circumstances qualify as genuine reasons to open a new limited company without HMRC coming after me for more tax? Just to clarify PLAN B is still going ahead. Its doing well for a start up, just that the growth is very slow.

Firstly, did you take a capital distribution when you closed the old company? If you did not, then it doesn’t matter as there is no tax advantage that HMRC can counteract.

If you did, then it hinges on whether or not your Plan B constitutes the same trade or activity as before. If it doesn’t then again, you’ve got nothing to worry about.

Edit: not sure if you meant starting a new company for Plan B or contracting again. If it’s the latter and you did take a capital distribution before then you’d be best using an umbrella for now.

Comment

Yes, I took capital distribution when I closed down my limited company.

Plan B is a self-employed business (at the moment. I might change it to a limited company or partnership once it grows a bit). Also, its in a COMPLETELY different area.

I meant starting a new limited company for starting contracting again (while plan B picks up).
      Last edited by bluedrop; 12 December 2017, 16:33.

Comment

No such thing as a genuine reason when trying to get around HMRC's rules.

I'd also say Umbrella is your best bet as the rule is pretty clear. Might want to give Chris Maslin a ring for his opinion though. He must have come across this situation by now.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Alternatively, depending on how big the capital distribution is and how bothered you are about using an umbrella, you could just go down the Ltd route and set aside the equivalent money in dividend tax just in case (or even proactively contact HMRC and ask if you can self assess the distribution as dividend income instead).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I'd also say Umbrella is your best bet as the rule is pretty clear.
            If you shut your limited and take a capital distribution, could you potentially work under an umbrella for 2 years then start a new limited? Or am I missing the context? I probably am.

Comment

Closure

Did you fully document at the time, reasons for the closure so that it could be demonstrated that the closure was not for tax purposes and genuine cessation of trade?

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
                If you shut your limited and take a capital distribution, could you potentially work under an umbrella for 2 years then start a new limited? Or am I missing the context? I probably am.
                Potentially yes, the assumption is that being employed by an umbrella (or anyone) does not count as continuing in the same business or trade but this is only based on HMRC guidance and their (current) interpretation of the legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Alternatively, depending on how big the capital distribution is and how bothered you are about using an umbrella, you could just go down the Ltd route and set aside the equivalent money in dividend tax just in case (or even proactively contact HMRC and ask if you can self assess the distribution as dividend income instead).
                  Capital distribution - It was a fairly large amount. If I set aside money for dividend tax, I'll make a net loss for atleast a year if I return to work. Pointless.

I stopped trading in Dec 2015. I've been working on setting up Plan B since then. Does that not count at all? Only the liquidation date matters is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
                    Did you fully document at the time, reasons for the closure so that it could be demonstrated that the closure was not for tax purposes and genuine cessation of trade?
                    I think so. I'm checking this. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X