• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel dividend in submitted company accounts by making amendment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancel dividend in submitted company accounts by making amendment

Hello,

I had a directors loan of > 10k as at Jan 2017. I had a journal entry which had a dividend which then reduced the loan to zero. The company accounts were filed in May 2017. This has had a big impact on my personal self-assessment, with the dividend tax rate being pushed into the higher tax bracket.

Is it possible to cancel the dividend, and amend both the company and personal tax return? I will then be best to pay the S455 tax on the outstanding balance which is 25%. It hasn't been 12 months after filing, but i'm not sure if it's legal/allowed to change three returns:
    1. HMRC Company Accounts
    2. Companies House Filing
    3. Personal Self-Assessment

The dividend was never declared fully on paper, just put through as a manual journal in the company accounts. I don't want to cross into any tax evasion territory, but i thought by making the amendment and paying the S455 tax due on the overdrawn amount this would be okay.

The company is now effectively dormant, after I am a PAYE employee since March 2016. I was considering entering into a MVL, but am happy to keep the company active if the above can be done.

Thanks

Working...
X