• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd company buy to let

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd company buy to let

Hi, I’m a software consultant with ltd company. The company now has enough cash at the bank to buy a small house. I’m thinking that letting would be a better investment for the company, rather than leaving the cash at the bank with almost zero interest.

Is the company “allowed” to buy a residential property to let as an investment? If so, would it be liable for the new 3% tax on but to let property? What are other tax implications I should be aware of?

Many thanks,

Rob.

Please use the forum search facility. The same question has been popping up every couple of months since the contracting beginning of time.

HTH.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The other advice would be to ask your accountant.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The general consensus always seemed to be that you have to suck up the tax hit and go it alone rather than buy through your company, but that's never what people want to hear.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          The general consensus always seemed to be that you have to suck up the tax hit and go it alone rather than buy through your company, but that's never what people want to hear.
          Except that advice is seriously out of date now, considering the tax changes on buying yourself. Many BTL landlords are trying to move into LTD now, not away.

My plan is still to form another company, though I've yet to fully understand the mechanism for transferring funds.
          Last edited by vwdan; 30 November 2017, 09:42.

Comment

Not necessarily.

Set up new limited co
            Loan funds to new ltd co from contracting co
            Buy property through newco
            3% ADST will be payable by newco but would be payable personally too
            Shelter letting profits in newco and pay CT at 19% rather than ptax at 20% which will also affect BRB dividends.

There are other considerations that I talk through with clients, but this is the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
              Not necessarily.

Set up new limited co
              Loan funds to new ltd co from contracting co
              Buy property through newco
              3% ADST will be payable by newco but would be payable personally too
              Shelter letting profits in newco and pay CT at 19% rather than ptax at 20% which will also affect BRB dividends.

There are other considerations that I talk through with clients, but this is the basics.
              Stupid question, but is the loan money pre-tax or post-tax.

Comment

Neither really as loans aren't taxable or tax deductible (potentially if written off but that is all).

The consideration to made here is will the company have sufficient cash to meet its other liabilities if it makes the loan. Therefore, to play it safe, you are better capping the loan at the after tax reserves figure.

Comment

Thanks for your response. Why is it advisable to setup a 2nd company? I guess there must be a good enough reason to overcome the additional costs (accountant etc) of running the second company?

Comment

No luck

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    Please use the forum search facility. The same question has been popping up every couple of months since the contracting beginning of time.

HTH.
                    I ran a search for "buy to let" but it came back with zero results?

Comment

Working...
                    X