• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD - Whats going on there??!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD - Whats going on there??!

First time poster, long time lurker.

I have been with SJD for nearly 7 years, and as of the last year their service has become extremely poor. Constant changing of accountants and comm's from anybody and everybody in what now appears to be a large consolidated team.

I have been chasing a Self assessment return since May, where I made them aware (nice and early) that my return due in Jan 2018 will need to include calculations for Cap gains (I sold a house) and undeclared rental income (honest mistake, wanted to fess up to HMRC).

They said fine, and I have been chasing ever since, given them all the info they need to perform the work, given dates which were not met, just getting brushed off every time, it's now December and I still don't have the figures for the self assessment.

It's a real shame, as they used to be great and as backward as it sounds I actually like their stone age spreadsheet, I don't want to leave them but this episode is pushing me in that direction. If you want a basic accounting service then SJD are fine but they are now charging a premium price, anything over and above that, like a self assessment which includes anything like cap gains or rental income appears to be too much of a struggle for them.

Just posted to vent and also to make people aware what to expect.

Originally posted by splitbrain View Post

I have been with SJD for nearly 7 years, and as of the last year their service has become extremely poor. Constant changing of accountants and comm's from anybody and everybody in what now appears to be a large consolidated team.

I have been chasing a Self assessment return since May, where I made them aware (nice and early) that my return due in Jan 2018 will need to include calculations for Cap gains (I sold a house) and undeclared rental income (honest mistake, wanted to fess up to HMRC).

They said fine, and I have been chasing ever since, given them all the info they need to perform the work, given dates which were not met, just getting brushed off every time, it's now December and I still don't have the figures for the self assessment.

It's a real shame, as they used to be great and as backward as it sounds I actually like their stone age spreadsheet, I don't want to leave them but this episode is pushing me in that direction. If you want a basic accounting service then SJD are fine but they are now charging a premium price, anything over and above that, like a self assessment which includes anything like cap gains or rental income appears to be too much of a struggle for them.

I heard the chap that was in charge 7 years ago is back with a new service.....
    P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Accountants

Seems to be a common topic on here at the moment, there's plenty of options for their unhappy clients.

Comment

I've been with them for longer, never had a problem with them. They are putting a new offering of PI etc, with their premium service. It works out cheaper than using SJD's basic and getting separate insurance (although I'm not sure who's underwriting it - I'll ask my accountant when it comes to insurance renewal stage next year).
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          I've been with them for longer, never had a problem with them. They are putting a new offering of PI etc, with their premium service. It works out cheaper than using SJD's basic and getting separate insurance (although I'm not sure who's underwriting it - I'll ask my accountant when it comes to insurance renewal stage next year).
          I am using that service. Hiscox - includes PI up to £1m IIRC.

Their premium package which includes and office address with postal forwarding is excellent value, especially if like me you were just starting up.

I've not had any swapped accountants or in fact, any issues. I have however kept right on top of my assigned accountant with regards to dates for VAT returns and call him every 6-8 weeks just to have a little catch up / ask him something. I only really do this because I've heard of the issues others on the forum have had.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            I am using that service. Hiscox - includes PI up to £1m IIRC.

Their premium package which includes and office address with postal forwarding is excellent value, especially if like me you were just starting up.

I've not had any swapped accountants or in fact, any issues. I have however kept right on top of my assigned accountant with regards to dates for VAT returns and call him every 6-8 weeks just to have a little catch up / ask him something. I only really do this because I've heard of the issues others on the forum have had.
            Been there. My view, and the main reason I dumped them, is that I don't pay someone £125 a month so that I have to manage them myself. I'm supposed to have bought expert advice and services that help my business.

What SJD used to do (and my new accountants also do) was provide superb, timely and accurate advice and guidance. The SJD I left failed that test at all levels.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Been there. My view, and the main reason I dumped them, is that I don't pay someone £125 a month so that I have to manage them myself. I'm supposed to have bought expert advice and services that help my business.

What SJD used to do (and my new accountants also do) was provide superb, timely and accurate advice and guidance. The SJD I left failed that test at all levels.
              Thanks. I am glad you appreciated all the work we put in to make it good. Shame what happened after I sold, but good to be back doing it all over again
              P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
                I heard the chap that was in charge 7 years ago is back with a new service.....
                It's not likely to be any better is it with the same guy in charge ? I wonder if he has a spreadsheet from the 70s in his new venture ...

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
                  Thanks. I am glad you appreciated all the work we put in to make it good. Shame what happened after I sold, but good to be back doing it all over again
                  Serious question (not having a go, honest) - your signature says that you're revolutionising the contract market again. What are you doing that's revolutionary?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Serious question (not having a go, honest) - your signature says that you're revolutionising the contract market again. What are you doing that's revolutionary?
                    Something about brolly / Ltd moves IIRC.

To be fair to Simon, it seems like a good offer, if you're happy to join an accountancy co. that will be fattened up for sale to VC / PE.

Comment

Working...
                    X