• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD - Whats going on there??!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by splitbrain View Post
    declaration to HMRC for a few years of unpaid rent, I'll sign up here and now mate.
    This is probably the issue. They aren’t geared up for this kind of thing. You’ll need to resubmit your SA returns for the years in question. And then you’ll probably need to negotiate on penalties. You could also be looking at a full or partial enquiry. Perchance they don’t want the hassle. Some others might look at it though although I suspect there’d be an additional fee to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
      That horse has bolted:-)
      :-) Apparently so...
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Nixon Williams (same company) appear to be collapsing too

A few team reorganisations too many :-(
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

It’s tough to keep up with world of Accountancy firms.

However, my understanding:

- Mr Dolan sold SJD for a tidy sum to Sovereign Capital. (Circa £80m)
          - Sovereign purchased Nixon Williams at same time. (Circa £20m)
          - Said companies merged under Arkarius group
          - Roll on a few years there was a further merger, takeover, reverse with Optionis (Parasol and Clearsky)
          - Mr Dolan, now free of hand cuff clauses returns to the market to take on company bearing his initials and others.

[gets popcorn]
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Totally agree, these guys have gone down hill totally.

They quote 4 weeks for Corporation Tax turnaround - so I submitted everything - 4 weeks later minus 1 day(!) they come back with a load of queries, answered the same day. Another 2 weeks for draft accounts, obviously they've made a few mistakes missing the answers to the questions asked and answered. Seven weeks later...still waiting.

If anyone knows of a better service please enlighten me!!

Comment

Originally posted by faxfan View Post
              Totally agree, these guys have gone down hill totally.

They quote 4 weeks for Corporation Tax turnaround - so I submitted everything - 4 weeks later minus 1 day(!) they come back with a load of queries, answered the same day. Another 2 weeks for draft accounts, obviously they've made a few mistakes missing the answers to the questions asked and answered. Seven weeks later...still waiting.

If anyone knows of a better service please enlighten me!!
              Any freeagent accountant. Mine took 3 weeks all in and most of that was me sorting out the submission code for companies house
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post

- Roll on a few years there was a further merger, takeover, reverse with Optionis (Parasol and Clearsky)
                - Mr Dolan, now free of hand cuff clauses returns to the market to take on company bearing his initials and others.

[gets popcorn]
                Its a pretty good summary....
                P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post

[gets popcorn]
                  Good summary apart from the sums quoted. If you search on via the free Companies House site for Optionis Group (used to be called Arkarius] and look at the accounts for the period ending 31st October 2014 and then look under note 11, you will see the total paid for both businesses was just over £81m not £100m.

Clearly the new PE owners are looking to exit at some point and are cutting costs to boost short term profits but the fall in service levels that has resulted is a shame. It is telling that the accounts show a decrease in staff delivering the accounting service but a huge increase in head office staff who clearly have no experience in this sector.
                  "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I went off the Sovereign quoted figures and the basis that SJD’s revenues were 80% as did all reports at the time.

https://www.sovereigncapital.co.uk/o...ices/optionis/
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

who could be bothered coming back to all this with £80m in their pocket

Comment

Working...
                      X