• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FreeAgent vs the competition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    Are you guys (Dynamo, Maslins) worried that if FreeAgent do manage to roll out all this additional stuff correctly (CT, annual returns, etc) that you will become surplus to requirements to a lot of your clients? (some contractors already go at it alone for their accounts with just freeagent, I suspect that number will increase the more functionality freeagent introduces?)
    Freeagent doesn't do advice, research or what-if scenarios around corporate and personal finances and doesn't verify what you're telling it...

HTH.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Freeagent doesn't do advice, research or what-if scenarios around corporate and personal finances and doesn't verify what you're telling it...

HTH.
      that's what this forum's for - works for SimonMac !

Comment

that's what this forum's for - works for SimonMac !
        You certainly get what you pay for
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My understanding is that FreeAgent’s prices are only increasing for direct customers (i.e. those that do not subscribe via an accountant) that did not receive a price increase the last time that FreeAgent changed their prices (sometime in 2015).

We currently have no plans to increase our prices

Hope this helps!
          Craig

Comment

Freeagent

Are you guys (Dynamo, Maslins) worried that if FreeAgent do manage to roll out all this additional stuff correctly (CT, annual returns, etc) that you will become surplus to requirements to a lot of your clients? (some contractors already go at it alone for their accounts with just freeagent, I suspect that number will increase the more functionality freeagent introduces?)
            Potentially there will be a few guys that go it alone however most will like the assurance that things are reviewed over by a qualified accountant and also it's an opportunity where we can add value. I think there's been discussions on here before about a reduction in service required from an accountant but from what we're seeing, the data going into the software from most still needs sorting out and organising into a state where it's accurate and ready for submission.

As @Maslins says, it's inevitable but many will still see the value of having a qualified accountant on board.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You certainly get what you pay for
              when I started off I was paying £150+vat per month for much worse advice than reading around on here

Comment

I'd rather worry about getting the right accountant than the right software. Simon's spreadsheet is still going strong and the service I still get from SJD is excellent. I've heard of people getting unlucky with accountants in a couple of their offices but I've been with their Manchester office for years and always had good service and sound advice.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

FREEAGENT STAYS LOSS-MAKING AS MARGIN TIGHTENS, BUT REVENUE SURGES UP

Alliance News Detail - London Stock Exchange

Not sure the relevance but anyway still to make money.
                  I imagine there is a huge dev queue keeping the software up to date and secure alongside updates.

Comment

Thanks for all the input to the thread, good to have some discussion.

I've not tried any of the others out but have spent some time looking over the features they offer and have come to a similar conclusion that FreeAgent still offers the best overall package for the average one-man business/freelancer type.

Xero - looks improved over when I last used it (8 years ago) but still seems aimed at small businesses a bit bigger than ours. Though a freelancer friend is very happy with it and their native mobile apps look much better than FreeAgent's. Doesn't seem to offer Director self-assessment or dividend management.

Clearbooks - seems to cover a lot of what FreeAgent offers and has a nice dividend tool with proper multiple shareholder support, doesn't seem to offer much in the way of employee expense tracking though, or self assessment. Payroll is a paid for add-on, cost per employee.

Quickbooks - looks wise, seems to be the most polished of all of them. Offers self assessment, payroll and VAT. I can't see anything about dividends, I think these need to be journalled in. Seems to have decent expense tracking. This seems to come closest to what FreeAgent offers, if I was going to trial one I'd consider this. Pricing is competitive.

Overall I'd say I'm probably going to stick with FreeAgent. I asked my accountant and his opinion was similar to others on here and he still thinks FreeAgent is the best for his clients.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      I'd rather worry about getting the right accountant than the right software. Simon's spreadsheet is still going strong and the service I still get from SJD is excellent. I've heard of people getting unlucky with accountants in a couple of their offices but I've been with their Manchester office for years and always had good service and sound advice.
                      Happy to hear that, and glad to see my spreadsheet (c.1996) is still keeping people happy
                      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Working...
                      X