• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Limited company and personal tax when traveling to various EU countries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Limited company and personal tax when traveling to various EU countries

Hi All,

I have looked at some of the existing forms for a situation but not sure if I understand what I found/read, so wanted to get some advice from those who have been through something similar.

I have been approached by a consulting company from north american, they are working on projects with couple of clients who have corporate headquarters in north america. Most of the work is being carried out/controlled in the client's corporate headquarters office in N.A. They said their contract is with the client's corporate headquarters but these clients also have offices/branches in various EU countries. This is where they say said they need my help.

They told me most of the work needs to be done from home, but once a month (for 3 to 4 days) they might want me to travel to clients offices in EU country (outside UK).

If everything works out then I will be doing a contact with consulting company N.A.

My Limited company ---> consulting company N.A. -----> Client N.A.

I have two questions:

1. When i will invoice to N.A. consulting company, should I charge VAT?
    2. If I travel for 4 days in first month to let say Germany (remaining 3 weeks in that month work from home), then travel for 5 days in the second month to Italy (remaining 3 weeks in that month work from home) etc, then do i have to pay corporate and personal taxes in UK, Germany, Italy, etc?

Thanks.

Surely you can Google the answer to question one... Or ask your accountant..

And you want to know if you have to pay tax to the country you work in for 4 days?????
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Welcome, Newtothis.

Your accountant will be able to take you through all the ins and outs, but to answer question 2... if your company is registered in the UK then you will be paying CT in the UK. If most of your work is in the UK then you will be paying your personal tax in the UK
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Paging jamesbrown......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by newtothis1 View Post
          I have two questions:

1. When i will invoice to N.A. consulting company, should I charge VAT?
          No. It is outside the scope of VAT.

2. If I travel for 4 days in first month to let say Germany (remaining 3 weeks in that month work from home), then travel for 5 days in the second month to Italy (remaining 3 weeks in that month work from home) etc, then do i have to pay corporate and personal taxes in UK, Germany, Italy, etc?
          No. Unless you rent a flat or have a permanent office there.

Comment

@m0n1k3r the proper answer is depends
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X