• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deliveroo claims victory in self-employment case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deliveroo claims victory in self-employment case

Deliveroo claims victory in self-employment case - BBC News

“... the CAC found they were self-employed because of their freedom to "substitute" - allowing other riders to take their place on a job.”

So you get a message on your phone for a delivery and you can get your mate to do it. Plus unlike Uber it's up to you or your mate to work out the quickest way to the address.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 15 November 2017, 08:36.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I love the dancing on the head of a pin that allows deliveroo workers to be self employed but Uber drivers are workers.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I love the dancing on the head of a pin that allows deliveroo workers to be self employed but Uber drivers are workers.
        You are not the only one chuckling at the state of employment legislation in the UK. Illustrates my point on another thread very nicely. Now, what we need is a statutory definition of what a contractor is. That'll solve all our IR35 problems. LOL!

PS - I can't yet my head round the difference between a "worker" and an "employee". But then, I'm such a simple soul.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
          Deliveroo claims victory in self-employment case - BBC News

“... the CAC found they were self-employed because of their freedom to "substitute" - allowing other riders to take their place on a job.”
          UBER drivers can do this too?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            UBER drivers can do this too?
            Nope.

To deliver food to someone you don't have to have a DBS check and be able to be identified in the same way if something goes wrong. Uber drivers are also suppose to follow the route given by the app. Deliveroo delivery people have to work out routes themselves.

While black cab and mini-cab drivers have to have DBS checks and be identifiable they aren't under direction and control.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 15 November 2017, 08:40.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Nope.

To deliver food to someone you don't have to have a DBS check and be able to be identified in the same way if something goes wrong. Uber drivers are also suppose to follow the route given by the app. Deliveroo delivery people have to work out routes themselves.

While black cab and mini-cab drivers have to have DBS checks and be identifiable they aren't under direction and control.
              Take your point, but can't an UBER driver substitute his mate who is also an UBER or private hire driver instead? I would substitute another professional engineer, I guess you'd sub with whatever your discipline is too. On that basis, I think an UBER driver can indeed, sub without UBER even knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                You are not the only one chuckling at the state of employment legislation in the UK. Illustrates my point on another thread very nicely. Now, what we need is a statutory definition of what a contractor is. That'll solve all our IR35 problems. LOL!

PS - I can't yet my head round the difference between a "worker" and an "employee". But then, I'm such a simple soul.
                A worker is someone who carries out work. An employee is somebody who is employed by an employer.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  A worker is someone who carries out work. An employee is somebody who is employed by an employer.
                  Just humour me, is an employee also a worker? They must be if they get employee rights like workers (ref UBER)? And an employee also carries out work, right?

So, if a worker also carries out work and also gets employee rights (ref UBER) - Then isn't a worker and an employee the same thing? If not, why not?

What a f**ing shambles UK employment law is becoming. First we had employees, and deemed employees and self employed. Now we can add worker to the list. if it wasn't so serious I'd be laughing my head off.

Comment

I agree Fred Bloggs it is a bit of a joke. I think that all employees are workers, but not all workers are employees. Workers seems to be some weird half way house between employees and independent contractors/freelancers...as if there wasn't enough blur as it was.

Comment

Working...
                    X