• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deliveroo claims victory in self-employment case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Just humour me, is an employee also a worker? They must be if they get employee rights like workers (ref UBER)? And an employee also carries out work, right?

So, if a worker also carries out work and also gets employee rights (ref UBER) - Then isn't a worker and an employee the same thing? If not, why not?

What a f**ing shambles UK employment law is becoming. First we had employees, and deemed employees and self employed. Now we can add worker to the list. if it wasn't so serious I'd be laughing my head off.
    Employee is a subset of worker. All employees are workers. Not all workers are employees.

Comment

Take your point, but can't an UBER driver substitute his mate who is also an UBER or private hire driver instead? I would substitute another professional engineer, I guess you'd sub with whatever your discipline is too. On that basis, I think an UBER driver can indeed, sub without UBER even knowing.
      Nope because they need to have recorded who is going to pick you up.

One thing many customers particularly female customers say when asked what they like about Uber is as soon as they book a cab they know from the outset which driver and the license plate of the car that will be picking them up. Many mini-cab firms won't tell you this and black cabs don't either.

On the other hand when you order food by Deliveroo like when you order a takeaway pizza you don't give a feck about who delivers it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Btw I just read City Sprint, who lost in an employment tribunal, have changed the contracts for all their workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ge-holiday-pay
        Last edited by SueEllen; 15 November 2017, 10:26.

Comment

Take your point, but can't an UBER driver substitute his mate who is also an UBER or private hire driver instead? I would substitute another professional engineer, I guess you'd sub with whatever your discipline is too. On that basis, I think an UBER driver can indeed, sub without UBER even knowing.
          With Uber if uber1 accepts the job, their name and number plate appear on the app so the customer sees who they are expecting, so if uber2 turns up there will be an issue

I suppose in theory Deliveroo1 can accept a job then give it to Deliveroo2 to actually deliver, similar "theory" to Contractor1 accepting a security clearance-dependent contract and substitute in Contractor2 with no questions asked

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            With Uber if uber1 accepts the job, their name and number plate appear on the app so the customer sees who they are expecting, so if uber2 turns up there will be an issue

I suppose in theory Deliveroo1 can accept a job then give it to Deliveroo2 to actually deliver, similar "theory" to Contractor1 accepting a security clearance-dependent contract and substitute in Contractor2 with no questions asked
            If UBER driver #2 sits in UBER driver #1's seat and drives #1's car, how does UBER know? UBER driver #1 has then successfully substituted. UBER can then claim their drivers have the same right to substitute as the Deliveroo riders and they are not employees since employees cannot substitute as per the Deliveroo case. The law is an utter mess. It just shouldn't be like this.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Nope because they need to have recorded who is going to pick you up.

One thing many customers particularly female customers say when asked what they like about Uber is as soon as they book a cab they know from the outset which driver and the license plate of the car that will be picking them up. Many mini-cab firms won't tell you this and black cabs don't either.

On the other hand when you order food by Deliveroo like when you order a takeaway pizza you don't give a feck about who delivers it.
              You might be a bit miffed if it turns out that you Deliveroo 'associate' turns out to have multiple convictions for poisoning.

Comment

If UBER driver #2 sits in UBER driver #1's seat and drives #1's car, how does UBER know? UBER driver #1 has then successfully substituted. UBER can then claim their drivers have the same right to substitute as the Deliveroo riders and they are not employees since employees cannot substitute as per the Deliveroo case. The law is an utter mess. It just shouldn't be like this.
                Uber doesn't.

But if a driver #2 has a conviction for GBH or sexual assault and then does it to a passenger then Uber and driver #1 would also be in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  You might be a bit miffed if it turns out that you Deliveroo 'associate' turns out to have multiple convictions for poisoning.
                  True but so could your local pizza delivery guys.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Uber doesn't.

But if a driver #2 has a conviction for GBH or sexual assault and then does it to a passenger then Uber and driver #1 would also be in trouble.
                    Agreed, and likely both would lose their taxi licences. But that does not stop #2 from driving #1's car for UBER as a sub. Hence, if I were UBER, I'd be making the case that my people were just like Deliveroo's. It really, really, is a total mess. Different vested interests pulling the courts in different directions. The lawyers are laughing all the way to the bank. Now, if only there were a statutory definition of the different types of worker, all our problems would be solved
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Agreed, and likely both would lose their taxi licences. But that does not stop #2 from driving #1's car for UBER as a sub. Hence, if I were UBER, I'd be making the case that my people were just like Deliveroo's. It really, really, is a total mess. Different vested interests pulling the courts in different directions. The lawyers are laughing all the way to the bank. Now, if only there were a statutory definition of the different types of worker, all our problems would be solved
                      One of the USPs of Uber is the passenger knows who the driver and license plate of the car before it arrives.

If Uber do a Deliveroo they lose the USP.

Comment

Working...
                      X