• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching from Ltd to Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from Ltd to Umbrella

Hello

I am an IT contractor. Several years ago I used an umbrella company. That company was subject to the DOTAS scandal (whole other story), so I switched to Ltd company using Nixon Williams. There service has gone down the toilet lately. Also, I have never been very good at saving enough cash to pay the self assessment bill when it comes through.

I am thinking umbrella company may be better for me, but I obviously have concerns.

Assuming a day rate of £350, is there much difference in take home pay these days?

Finally, which umbrellas are the most respected at the moment?

Lucy at Contractor Umbrella. She posts on here regularly in the Umbrella section. She will probably pop on and say hello shortly as well.

The have a calculator on their site if you want to check the figures.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EndoftheRoad View Post
      Hello

I am an IT contractor. Several years ago I used an umbrella company. That company was subject to the DOTAS scandal (whole other story), so I switched to Ltd company using Nixon Williams. There service has gone down the toilet lately. Also, I have never been very good at saving enough cash to pay the self assessment bill when it comes through.

I am thinking umbrella company may be better for me, but I obviously have concerns.

Assuming a day rate of £350, is there much difference in take home pay these days?

Finally, which umbrellas are the most respected at the moment?
      Not a huge difference if you have minimal expenses and tend to draw the lot personally. Even less soon when Hector gets his way and IR35 extends to all contractors. You will be worse off though.

Contractor Umbrella seems to be the most recommended and once promised a free iPad NLUK was desperate to get (but failed).

Comment

Ltd to Umbrella

Thanks for the recommendations to Con Umb. Lucy and the team will look after you admirably. If you ever do decide to switch back to Ltd, you can do that without charge, same fee using Dolan Accountancy. No need to shuffle between suppliers these days and all the hassle that can sometimes bring.
        P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
          Thanks for the recommendations to Con Umb. Lucy and the team will look after you admirably. If you ever do decide to switch back to Ltd, you can do that without charge, same fee using Dolan Accountancy. No need to shuffle between suppliers these days and all the hassle that can sometimes bring.
          Simon, do you give iPads out for referrals?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Comment

Originally posted by EndoftheRoad View Post
              Hello
              Hi EndoftheRoad, happy to help As has been said there should be very little difference with regards to take home (calculation example). If you are still likely to look at some contracts inside IR35 and some outside (22nd dependent), then you can always opt to use our switching service, so only one monthly charge whether you are Ltd or brolly. Give us a shout if you want us to talk you through it.
              Last edited by administrator; 17 September 2018, 09:13.

Comment

BTW if you're the same poster as was asking about advice over unpaid tax bills, you may not have the option. Undischarged bankrupts can't be company directors...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  For you my friend, of course....
                  P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
                    For you my friend, of course....
                    Get in there!!!!! Lucy, you reading this??

Anyone need a good umbrella recommendation?

Comment

Working...
                    X