• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best time to change accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best time to change accountant?

As you will probably have noticed in previous threads I've been experiencing poor service issues with my accountant recently.

I'm seriously considering changing and have been wondering if there is a "best" time to do so - by "best" I mean easiest/safest in terms of paperwork and tax liability submissions.

It seems to me that although I could obviously change at any time, it would make for a smoother transition to do so just after my company's year end.

Does this seem logical or is it just as easy/straightforward to switch any time?
    Last edited by Dark Black; 8 November 2017, 16:21.
    Do what thou wilt

If you are having serious problems, it's worth getting as much information as you can now and leave.

Twice I've moved at year end, but as long as you're going to get the data to give to the new accountant any time should be OK.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      As you will probably have been noticed in previous threads I've been experiencing poor service issues with my accountant recently.

I'm seriously considering changing and have been wondering if there is a "best" time to do so - by "best" I mean easiest/safest in terms of paperwork and tax liability submissions.

It seems to me that although I could obviously change at any time, it would make for a smoother transition to do so just after my company's year end.

Does this seem logical or is it just as easy/straightforward to switch any time?
      Once your returns have been completed and everything has been nicely filed at HMRC.

Comment

Try to coincide it with a year end. That minimises the risk of unnecessary duplication of fees/bookkeeping.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Once your returns have been completed and everything has been nicely filed at HMRC.
          Unless you have lost faith in them to be able to complete the return accurately

With my first change of accountant, I got very little out of them once I had told them I was leaving. New accountant picked up all the information that I had and reconstructed the accounts so that they could be filed - cost me two months extra fees but was worth it to get away from them.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
            As you will probably have noticed in previous threads I've been experiencing poor service issues with my accountant recently.

Year end usually best but just depends on how bad you are finding things with the existing accountant. If they are that bad then you are better cutting your losses and moving ASAP
            P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

From my experience it’s best to leave after year end accounts are completed. The next best option is within the first 3 months of the next FY. However it all depends on the relationship with your accountant and how much you are prepared to pay the new accountant catch-up fees.

Either way moving should be easy especially if you are on a common portal such as FreeAgent.

Comment

needs to change accountant is it worthwhile?

I have researched work and found few firms chrunch, accounting legal, weaccountax new firm but I need suggestions to accomplish my needs? is it fine if change my accountant?

Comment

Most contractors don't have complex accounts so for any accountant who is remotely qualified the timing shouldn't make a great deal of difference - they will be able to "catch up" pretty quickly

So in terms of best time to leave it's always when you think the relationship with current accountant is no longer tenable.

You should however exhaust all options for fixing the issues before you jump ship - you might be moving to somewhere worse

Comment

Working...
                  X