• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I pay myself £500 per month salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I pay myself £500 per month salary

Greetings chaps,
    I've been on the bench for a while now and had to reduce my monthly salary from £1000 to £500.
    I'm starting a contract soon but would quite like to keep paying myself only £500/month rather than revert to £1200. Is this allowed? It would work out to an hourly rate below min wage. Does this matter? I'm not sure if it matters.
    Regards, c243

Are you a director of a limited company?
    Do you have the funds in your company account?
    Do you have an accountant?

Without seeing how you've arrived at the figure of £1200 or £1000, it's not straightforward to see what you're doing. Personally I'd be looking at £680 a month salary and the rest as dividends.
    There's more here:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...2017-18-a.html
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes you can.

Do you have an accountant?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes you can, there's no minimum wage for company directors or the self employed, and you should probably pay yourself an amount which aligns nicely with your tax code (so quite possibly £500 if you've been paying yourself £1000 for 5-6 months)

Comment

If you have a contract of employment with yourCo, then you need to pay yourself at least minimum wage. If you don't (as most of us don't) then you don't have to.

Comment

Bet 1 Bitcoin that OP hasn't got an accountant
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              If you have a contract of employment with yourCo, then you need to pay yourself at least minimum wage. If you don't (as most of us don't) then you don't have to.
              The correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Thanks.

Are there any statistics or something to show most contractors don't have an employment contract with themselves? As I may need to prove this for another purpose. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor243 View Post
                  Thanks.

Are there any statistics or something to show most contractors don't have an employment contract with themselves? As I may need to prove this for another purpose. Thanks.
                  No statistics but the whole idea of the LTD company model is to be tax efficient and a core part of that is to pay up to the minimum tax threshold and rest in divs. Something you can't do with a contract of employment as you'll have to pay NMW.

That said most contractors don't even understand they aren't employed by their ltd. If you did a poll the results would be useless due to that lack of understanding.

In 10 years I'm yet to see a contractor on here or in real life with a contact of employment.

Ask your accountant. They will know who has and hasn't as a guide.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    That said most contractors don't even understand they aren't employed by their ltd.
                    As long as my accountant understands I don't need to.

Comment

Working...
                    X