• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Assigned my 3rd accountant in 15 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Try QDOS.
    Bit of a desperate plug that?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Multiple accountants was the first warning sign to me that SJD were losing the plot slightly, having had excellent service from the ever-present Katrina for several years. Being told my account was now being handled out of London somewhere (but not that Cheltenham was closing down...) was another. Being given salary advice that took no notice of my income and current position was the last straw. When they then compounded that lot with not stopping the DTI reporting, meaning that HMRC's understanding of my overall income was vastly overstated I was seriously not happy. Not that SJD have bothered to respond to my complaint, even to say "Oops", which would have been nice.

I don't really care who does the donkey work behind the scenes. What I do care is that someone whose name I know has a sensible understanding of my specific business and general working habits. Lose that, as SJD did, and you lose customers very quickly.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I think I am on my third or fourth one in eighteen months at Gorilla as well.
        It is a tad irritating but as long as the level of service stays the same it's not a problem.
        So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
          Sorry - what was wrong?
          She prefers you underneath rather than on top.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            She prefers you underneath rather than on top.
            P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Service as normal

So following on from this, had a "hello" email from my new accountant, he has checked over my account confirming everything is up to date and said he was available for a call if I wanted a chat (I think i have only ever spoken to my accountants once during my contracting life).

This was followed quickly with my first draft of my personal tax return. Glad there hasn't been a disruption in service during the changing of accountants, as long as I don't see a drop in service will accept it as another day in the life of a contractor.

Comment

Looking at some of the threads about people having problems with late paperwork etc that sounds like a bit of a win not a problem.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Looking at some of the threads about people having problems with late paperwork etc that sounds like a bit of a win not a problem.
                  very true, I was thinking exactly this before even posting here, was I making a big deal out of nothing. I have had no issues whatsoever for the last 18 months, never had any issues with paperwork or incorrect calculations.

I am glad it was just me

Comment

The majority of queries a decent accountant could answer without needing to know much (if any) of the back story.

There will be some situations where continuity does benefit though. Eg you ask a question, and the accountant doesn't just answer it in isolation, but perhaps thinks to themselves hold on, the client told me X three months ago, which becomes relevant here.

Also anecdotally, it does seem many clients really want continuity/a personal contact, even if it's not actually that important to them getting decent service. I guess no different to how you might like going to a certain shop because you get on with the person behind the till. Horses for courses.

Comment

I wouldn't worry, its usually a sign of them being good and moving on to other roles. What you really don't want is to get stuck with the same one for years because they are struggling with the basics!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X