• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment Agent Insisting on Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Agency sounds like they don't know what they're talking about or they have a direct intrest in the umbrella they want to push you into, maybe worth doing a few checks on the agency
    2 words... back hander

Comment

Originally posted by steviecuk View Post
      Hi All,

I'm new to contracting and have just set up a ltd. company for my contracting work.

I'm currently going for a contract but I've been told by the recruitment consultant that I must use their umbrella company.

Can they do this? Are there some contracts which you are unable to use a ltd. company?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, i'm new to this and am just finding my feet.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve.
      This stance is becoming more common. HMRC introduced liability to the supply chain and as a result many agencies refuse to entertain Limited company contractors in the public sector.

You do have ultimate power and can refuse the role. I suggest:

1) Talk to them and gain an understanding of why. Your consultant may not be able to give you this answer, their job is to just place you. So seek an answer from their compliance team.
      2) If you're not happy with the explanation, challenge but be prepared for them to give the role to someone else that is willing to accept, they have that power.
      3) or walk away and find another contract.

HTH

Comment

Working...
      X