• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

R&D Tax Credits and Relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    R&D tax relief is not another mechanism allowing companies to lower the tax obligations. It is there to encourage R&D and people like AtW benefit from it. If you are genuine you would be hiring PHD's and indulging in how R&D into how machine learning can be used to write self driving cars or something like that.
    This is exactly what I do (just not for cars).

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      10 years ago a client of mine was claiming it. It was a grey area really as it was a hosting company. The argument was ‘it’s a new way of hosting’. It wasn’t really but it was for the client.
      They got away with as
      1) they were a company with 20+ staff
      2) HMRC were falling over themselves for people to use those credits as there was a shortfall.

I doubt a PSC would get away with it. For a start almost all PSCs work is for a client who owns the IP and therefore would be the party to claim those credits.

Nice try though. Why not just buy the gamer’s PC as Visio needs a decent graphics card. And it’s an asset that will last more than 3 years.
      No projects are not for the client.

Let's say hypothetical - PCS with one of directors PhD and active research project, with actual research papers to back it.
      Machine learning PCs are not gamer PCs, they can have >6 "graphic cards". And you can even look at multiple PCs with distributed calculation. Not going into technical details, but that cost would be 10-20k for basic cluster.
      Maybe it would be beneficial to increase basic salary and claim that for R&D or you can't do that for director?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post

Let's say hypothetical - PCS with one of directors PhD and active research project, with actual research papers to back it.
        Machine learning PCs are not gamer PCs, they can have >6 "graphic cards". And you can even look at multiple PCs with distributed calculation. Not going into technical details, but that cost would be 10-20k for basic cluster.
        Maybe it would be beneficial to increase basic salary and claim that for R&D or you can't do that for director?
        I'd say get your accountant to run the numbers for you as the drip feed of hypothetical information can only lead to a useless opinion.
        He might actually know what a PCS is.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you've got some grear idea that needs R&D to make you lots of money later then focus on that idea, not R&D tax relief which was intentionally designed not to be claimable by almost any small company

We claim a fraction of our overall R&D and get it audited by Deloitte to be sure it's within the rules, IMHO most small companies claiming it probably fo it wrongly - I expect big crackdown anytime now
          Last edited by AtW; 18 October 2017, 09:50.

Comment

You can be paid whatever the company wants to pay you.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              You can be paid whatever the company wants to pay you.
              Yes, but HMRC won't be thrilled to see 100% salary of the sole Director used for R&D tax relief

Comment

If the project is not for a client then you’re arguably not a PSC.
                You need to understand what a qualifying expenditure is. The project types that qualify are quite wide so as long as you tick the right boxes you’ll likely be Ok.

Read this https://www.gov.uk/guidance/corporat...ment-rd-relief
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Good for you. But I didn't ask for your as usual useless opinion. I tried to find person with actual knowledge.

Comment

So far impression is that it can be a minefield and more problems in future with HMRC. Definitely not worth for 10k

Comment

So far impression is that it can be a minefield and more problems in future with HMRC. Definitely not worth for 10k
                      Yup!

Comment

Working...
                      X