• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term contract in Ireland - insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short term contract in Ireland - insurance?

I've been offered a 3 months contract in Ireland, however it stipulates that my levels of insurance need to be €13m for employers liability and €6.5m for public liability. These seem to be fairly standard (although high ones) in Ireland, but no Irish insurer wants to provide for UK domiciled company. UK standard levels of £10m and £5m respectively are shy below because of exchange rate.
    Is there any place that offers unusual levels/tailored non-UK insurance? Or should I try to force (large medical company, so good luck) to amend the offer to accept UK standards?

I’d suggest you ring qdos. They have met slightly less than usual requirements from me in the past.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

My Ltd has those exact levels as part of my accountancy package. Icon Accounting – Services For Agencies

Not sure how helpful that is. Will ask colleague shortly for ideas and post back.

Comment

Originally posted by DLAC View Post
        I've been offered a 3 months contract in Ireland, however it stipulates that my levels of insurance need to be €13m for employers liability and €6.5m for public liability. These seem to be fairly standard (although high ones) in Ireland, but no Irish insurer wants to provide for UK domiciled company. UK standard levels of £10m and £5m respectively are shy below because of exchange rate.
        Is there any place that offers unusual levels/tailored non-UK insurance? Or should I try to force (large medical company, so good luck) to amend the offer to accept UK standards?
        Are you sure you want to use a UK Ltd in Ireland? You'll need to pay CT to revenue commissioners and well as PAYE/PRSI/USC personally - will be a nightmare/nice little earner for an international tax advisor. No concept of dividend either in Irish Company Law.

Best to go local brolly as NLyUK suggests, Director Umbrella is the best choice and most tax eficient.

Comment

Have you tried Arachas for insurance?

Or talk to icon about working via an Irish directors umbrella. While tax rates are high, for three months starting now you may get both the 2017 and 2018 personal allowances. Advice needed of course!

Comment

And if you end up in Dublin you owe stek and me a pint.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              And if you end up in Dublin you owe stek and me a pint.
              And a steak from Shannehans...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Are you sure you want to use a UK Ltd in Ireland? You'll need to pay CT to revenue commissioners and well as PAYE/PRSI/USC personally - will be a nightmare/nice little earner for an international tax advisor. No concept of dividend either in Irish Company Law.

Best to go local brolly as NLyUK suggests, Director Umbrella is the best choice and most tax eficient.
                If I squeeze within 60 working days (as far as I learnt so far) then I'm completely clean from Irish taxman perspective. It did not feel sensible to establish any IE post for such a short period, but if it has to be done, maybe there actually can be a benefit to that: am I correct that taking advantage of different tax years (calendar year vs April-April) I could optimize my income (transfer the part above 2017 IE tax threshold to UK Ltd and benefit from tax free EUR and reduced GBP taxation? Also having one foot there may make it easier if the story repeats by chance...

Thanks all for hints!

Comment

If I squeeze within 60 working days (as far as I learnt so far) then I'm completely clean from Irish taxman perspective. It did not feel sensible to establish any IE post for such a short period, but if it has to be done, maybe there actually can be a benefit to that: am I correct that taking advantage of different tax years (calendar year vs April-April) I could optimize my income (transfer the part above 2017 IE tax threshold to UK Ltd and benefit from tax free EUR and reduced GBP taxation? Also having one foot there may make it easier if the story repeats by chance...

Thanks all for hints!
                  I think you should be able to get three years' worth of personal allowances within the 2017/18 UK tax year:

- 2017/18 UK year for UK income
                  - 2017 year for Irish income
                  - 2018 year for Irish income

Needs advice of course.

Comment

Thanks all for hints!
                    You're taxable in Ireland from day one I'm afraid, EU freedom of movement desn't mean freedom to choose your favoured tax regime. Also you'd be tax resident in UK as well and will always have to pay the difference the higher-taxing regime.

It's a nightmare to do it all legally as one-man ContractorCo., since the company moves with the worker along with the control.

Comment

Working...
                    X