• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I may have paid too much VAT, letter from HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have paid too much VAT, letter from HMRC

I got one letter in March 2016 from HMRC that they want to do a check on my VAT returns for a number of periods.
    I missed this one since I was traveling. Later they sent another one in December 2016 that the check is completed and I may have paid too much VAT. They dont say how much.
    I also missed this one, got the two letters today.

What is all this, my calculations on FRS VAT are correct as I see them.

I do my FRS VAT myself, not my accountant.

Any suggestions, should I chase with HMRC?

Well you've no accountancy support so you'd imagine a call to HMRC would be the next option. Nothing wrong with asking them why they think what they do surely?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You should absolutely contact HMRC and offer to provide the information originally requested by them.

Although it may be tempting to accept their verdict, it would be better to make sure that the level of VAT that has been sent to them is correct.

Comment

Have you had any international sales that you may have included in your return by mistake? Have you been using the right percentage? Have you been calculating the reverse charge correctly on any purchases from abroad?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Have you had any international sales that you may have included in your return by mistake? Have you been using the right percentage? Have you been calculating the reverse charge correctly on any purchases from abroad?
          None of the above. Also I have used the right percentage.
          I had a VAT inspection in Jan 2015 and the inspector found that I was using wrong % so we changed it. It turned out it was HMRC's problem when initial % was determined, so no penalties or anything.
          Ever since I was using the new % and recently switched to 16.5%.
          As far as I can see it is all correct.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
              None of the above. Also I have used the right percentage.
              I had a VAT inspection in Jan 2015 and the inspector found that I was using wrong % so we changed it. It turned out it was HMRC's problem when initial % was determined, so no penalties or anything.
              Ever since I was using the new % and recently switched to 16.5%.
              This inspection in 2015, was it instigated by you filling in an FRS VAT return online but making a mistake on it?
              Did you contact HMRC immediately after discovering the mistake?

Just wondering.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
              X