• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Close one company and open another.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close one company and open another.

I am considering closing down my Ltd. and starting my next contract with a new Ltd.
    This is not an attempt to dodge IR35, just to draw a line under one phase of my life (getting divorced).

Am I about to put myself through some needless hassle and HMRC interest?

The term to be aware of is "Phoenixing". HMRC don't like it when people close one company and start another that is essentially doing the same thing.

However, this does happen and given your genuine reasons for wanting to pursue this action then it won't necessarily be an issue.

In doing this though you would potentially lose the ability to claim entrepreneur's relief on any capital distribution made when closing the existing company under new rules brought in, in April 2016.

There are several factors to consider including the amount of retained profit in the company and the structure of the shareholding.

Comment

http://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/in-busin...es-phoenixing/

It's interesting that HMRC's definition of phoenixing has changed. The official line used to be it was to start a new company after the old became insolvent or to escape obligations like guarantees but it's now been extended to cover TAAR. Doesn't mention that in the HMRC's pages about Phoenixing though.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just to be clear, no desire to extract entrepreneurs relief either. It'd just be straight CT and personal tax on anything else.

Comment

Was your ex part of the old. Company?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ConfusedEasily View Post
            Just to be clear, no desire to extract entrepreneurs relief either. It'd just be straight CT and personal tax on anything else.
            I can't see that attracting any attention from HMRC - you're closing the company down for legitimate reasons and paying the correct income tax, so there's nothing for HMRC to take exception to.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Was your ex part of the old. Company?
              Just the Secretary. It's really just to draw a line under one part of my life.

Comment

You won’t be able to take a capital distribution (ER doesn’t come into it) but if all retained profits are extracted as a dividend and all liabilities settled then simply closing down one company and starting another won’t be a problem.

Comment

Removing a secretary is a lot less faffing than closing and restarting but it's your call.

Have you considered a change of company name if that's what you want to achieve? It's a simple form to complete, nothing onerous, and then all you have to do is send off the new cert of inc to the bank etc to show the change. Oh and minute it like you do your divis

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Removing a secretary is a lot less faffing than closing and restarting but it's your call.

Have you considered a change of company name if that's what you want to achieve? It's a simple form to complete, nothing onerous, and then all you have to do is send off the new cert of inc to the bank etc to show the change. Oh and minute it like you do your divis
                    And a small plaque to commemorate the departure of the Secretary.

Do you own 100% of shares?

Comment

Working...
                    X