• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Required documentation to legally split ordinary shares into Class A and Class B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Required documentation to legally split ordinary shares into Class A and Class B

Hi,

I am planning to split the existing 10 (of £1 each) ordinary shares to Class A and Class B alphabet shares so I can declare separate dividend for my spouse independent of Class A.

I am struggling to find the relevant documents I need to maintain / change to do this... like appropriate lines to put in Memorundum of Association which current talks about Ordinary share only.

My idea is: -
    1) Do a shareholder's meeting and prepare MoM (me only) for splitting Ordinary shares to Class A and Class B
    2) Prepare MoM for amending Memorundum of assiciation to include alphabet shares
    3) Prepare MoM for gifting Class B shares to spouse.
    4) Maintain some share certificate and register etc with proper class of certs which at the moment only mentions 'Ordinary' without any class.
    5) Declare a separate dividend for Class B via MoM.

Please could someone put a template for this?

PS: I am aware of all risks and discussions of issuing class B shares so this post is specific to find out correct documentation when someone has made a decision to split ordinary shares to alphabet shares.

Thanks,
    Sam

I'd ask your accountant what paperwork they think needs to be completed and go from there.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Accountant is charging hefty fees for the same and not advising me on the documents which I can create myself. I don't think there is any complicated docs required hence why trying to get info from experienced member on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by samsg30 View Post
        Accountant is charging hefty fees for the same and not advising me on the documents which I can create myself. I don't think there is any complicated docs required hence why trying to get info from experienced member on this forum.
        Fire your accountant and find one that provides you with answers to your questions and doesn't charge hefty fees.

Then ask them how to do it. Whatever they advise you will be cheaper and better than your current accountant by the sounds of things.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

So you don't think accountant should charge for this one-off piece of special work and instead tell the client how to do it themselves for free?

Great business model that one for accountancy firms!

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
            So you don't think accountant should charge for this one-off piece of special work and instead tell the client how to do it themselves for free?

I think if OP is paying a "hefty fee" they can probably reasonably expect to get unlimited support these days - my "reasonable fee" accountant offers this as part of the monthly package (or "free" if that's how you see it)

+1 for getting a new accountant
            Last edited by pr1; 12 September 2017, 13:58.

Comment

I would expect my accountant to do this as part of their service that I pay whatever-hundered pounds a year for.
              It wouldn't take them long to do - I say this because my accountant did some share juggling for me a couple of years ago (at no extra cost).

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
                Being expensive and not helping your clients is probably a worse business model.

An even worse business model is relying on the kindness of strangers on the internet to make sure you get your important company decisions right.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I asked my own accountant the same question. The answer is not to bother until you complete your year end declaration to CoHo. There used to be a form (probably still is) but you don't need it.

However that was just normal shares. You don't need to separate your wife's from yours unless there is a secondary reason you haven't covered: Arctic took care of that.

And get a new accountant...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    I asked my own accountant the same question. The answer is not to bother until you complete your year end declaration to CoHo. There used to be a form (probably still is) but you don't need it.

However that was just normal shares. You don't need to separate your wife's from yours unless there is a secondary reason you haven't covered: Arctic took care of that.

And get a new accountant...
                    Malvolio is correct that nothing needs to be filed at Companies House until the annual confirmation statement if it is a simple transfer of Ordinary shares.

However, it sounds like you want to create a new class of share which would require an SH01 form to be filed with Companies House when the new shares are allotted (before the confirmation statment).

Comment

Working...
                    X