• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to claim cost of laptop on HMRC online corporation tax return/accounts submission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to claim cost of laptop on HMRC online corporation tax return/accounts submission

Hi, I have looked for an existing answer to a question like this, but apologies if this has been addresed before.

I am (perhaps foolishly) doing my own accounts again for the 2nd year running. I managed fine last time, but this year the business laptop I purchased from my ltd company's funds is messing things up and I can't get the balance sheet to tally with the profit & loss account.

I have added the full £1649 cost of the laptop to the "cost of sales" section in P&L to claim it as a tax-relieved business expense, and added it as a fixed asset on the balance sheet. Unfortunately the latter change causes the total net assets to exceed the P&L running total by the value of the laptop. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

It's not a "cost of sale" but a purchase.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It should be in an overheads type account like office costs, or consumables.

If it had been an expensive laptop, I would have put it in an asset account and set up three year depreciation but that's overkill for the amount you spent.

My journal would have been:
      CR bank
      DR office costs

Simples.

Comment

Get an accountant.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Get an accountant.
          And then ask your accountant.

Comment

IMO you should be treating this as an asset. It's not a cost of sale. You would need to claim capital allowances.

A goodf accountant will show you how to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              IMO you should be treating this as an asset. It's not a cost of sale. You would need to claim capital allowances.
              I agree, add in as an asset and then claim AIA.

Don't forget to also put depreciation in the accounts for the asset.

Comment

I get where you're coming from on the asset front but I took my accountant's advise that low value purchases just aren't worth it. The depreciation isn't CT allowable. I stick things on the asset register when they hit about £2k but that's a limit which works for me, and keeps the depreciation admin down, whereas a lower limit might be better for others.

Comment

Remember the machine that goes bing on The Meaning of Life?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I get where you're coming from on the asset front but I took my accountant's advise that low value purchases just aren't worth it. The depreciation isn't CT allowable. I stick things on the asset register when they hit about £2k but that's a limit which works for me, and keeps the depreciation admin down, whereas a lower limit might be better for others.
                    And that's what I thought. Not the advise bit of course, but oddly enough both accountants moved sub £500 purchases to assets in the two cases I can remember.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X